Display Opacity

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Display Opacity

Postby PJs Ronin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:20 pm

There is an option in the HUD editor to select a Display Type of 'Normal' or 'Reduced Opacity Until Mouse Over'. If I select this latter option, the results are not what I anticipated.

Not Moused
shot1.png
shot1.png (57.03 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Moused
shot2.png
shot2.png (77.64 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

The only difference is the appearance of the '/'.
PJs Ronin

Re: Display Opacity

Postby guitarizt » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:19 am

Hmm for me all the stats that weren't moused over were definitely opaque.
guitarizt

Postby random » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:26 am

Same thing here only seperators/background get translucent.. I thought it was kinda useless feature :D. The way it works anyway.

Here is "Professional" Hud profile that is included with PT4:

random

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:20 am

"Lower opacity until mouse over" will make the whole group (background, foreground and separators) more translucent - exactly how much is specified in the HUD Options. We have a known issue that this doesn't work correctly with groups using grid mode - for those only the background will be more translucent until we get this fixed.
WhiteRider

Postby PJs Ronin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Doesn't work for me. I'm not in grid mode. If I select the reduced opacity until mouseover option, the stats are not visible until I mouseover. There's no dimming of foreground or background... the stats are either visible or they are not.
PJs Ronin

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:35 am

What do you have the translucency setting of the group set to, and the 'lower opacity' setting?
Please use File > Backup to make a backup of your HUD settings (the default optional files with 'processed files' and databases turned off is fine) and attach it to a Support Ticket so that we can check out your exact settings. Tell us which profile you're using and post your ticket number here. It's definitely working for me, but there may be some setting which means it isn't working correctly in all cases yet, since it's very new functionality.
Thanks.
WhiteRider

Postby PJs Ronin » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Screenshots taken showing settings and results. Also made backup as requested by WR. All attached to ticket #115780.

Edit: Found the problem.
WhiteRider wrote:"Lower opacity until mouse over" will make the whole group (background, foreground and separators) more translucent - exactly how much is specified in the HUD Options. We have a known issue that this doesn't work correctly with groups using grid mode - for those only the background will be more translucent until we get this fixed.

badda bing! Set this midway and opacity is now working for me.
PJs Ronin

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:32 am

Fantastic! Thanks for letting us know. :)
WhiteRider

Postby PJs Ronin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:50 pm

I don't want to keep harping on this, but the results are still not as I anticipated. The idea behind translucency/opacity is, imo, twofold. First, to reduce stealing of focus from the task at hand, playing poker, that occurs by 'overloading' a limited display area with too much information. Second, to conserve scarce table real estate. Individually or combined, the translucency and opacity options try and support this.

However, the ability to set stat background as transparent (and thus allow table data to show through the HUD) is over-ridden by the opacity option which adjusts the opacity of stats AND background. So, if I set stat background to 'clear' and set opacity to 50%, the stat background effectively becomes 50%.

The solution would appear to be for PT4 to adjust stat translucency the same way the background translucency is set and thus remove the need for the opacity option.
PJs Ronin

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:00 am

Most people have requested that the stats themselves be fully opaque so that they can be read more easily, and that only the background be translucent.
I will mention your request to the development team to see if text translucency can be set independently, but I'm not sure how practical that would be.
WhiteRider

Return to PokerTracker 4