Second Solid State Harddrive?

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Second Solid State Harddrive?

Postby QTip » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:44 am

I play a lot of tables and doing about 300K hands a month. I just got a new PC hoping to be able to get more tables in as my current PC lags when I get over 35 tables going.

A friend of mine is recommending a second solid state hard drive for poker tracker and postgress so I can put that separate from the windows system.

Will this make a good improvement over having it all on my same solid drive? Is it fairly simple to get postgres and everything on the other drive? I don't remember having an option as which drive to put postgress on during installation.

Thanks.
QTip

Re: Second Solid State Harddrive?

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:49 am

I wouldn't like to suggest the degree to which that would improve performance, but having PostgreSQL on a separate drive should help somewhat.
Installing PostgreSQL to the other drive is pretty straightforward - you'd copy your PostgreSQL folder structure to the new drive and then uninstall PostgreSQL from your main drive and install the same major version to the new drive (there is an option of where to install to) and the existing databases will be picked up. If you use the same port number then PT4 won't know the difference.
WhiteRider

Postby QTip » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:23 pm

If this is a brand new computer that hasn't had anything installed, could I just start by installing postgresql on the other hard drive?

Also, if I have say 10 million hands in a database, what size SSD would be best. Would a 120GB still be plenty?
QTip

Postby kraada » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Yes that will certainly work. Our rule of thumb for database size is 1M hands is roughly 10G for full ring. If you're talking 6max it's more like 7G. So if you're playing FR a 120 is going to be kind of close (since the size listed on the box is not the same as usable space) for 10M hands - for 6 max you should be fine.
kraada

Postby QTip » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks.
QTip

Return to PokerTracker 4