PT4 on Linux?

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Re: PT4 on Linux?

Postby kraada » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 am

I haven't tested it personally, but I see no evidence that it's photoshopped (also no reason anybody would do that).
kraada

Postby plexiq » Sun May 17, 2015 9:38 am

I can confirm that PT4 works well "out of the box" with wine 1.7, including the HUD. Other than running native PostgreSQL i only had to install the Windows corefonts using winetricks, no other tweaks required. Performance wise there seems to be a huge improvement over the last time I tested (maybe a year ago), PT4 is much more responsive now. Hands are picked up by the importer almost immediately and the HUD is displayed right away. All very nice. [Caveat: I only single-tabled for a few minutes, no multi-tabling tested.]

Two issues i noticed:
1) Dropdowns. Some dropdown menus are displayed with almost zero height, making the current selection unreadable. This is a major usability issue, and probably a deal-breaker for actually using PT4 in Linux. Some other dropdowns are displayed fine, e.g. LeakTracker first line, or the player dropdowns with the site-icon. Screenshots are attached.

2) HUD popup dragging. If i move a HUD popup by holding the right mouse button and dragging, the popup will jump around all over the place if i move the mouse at normal speed. Dragging the popup in slow-motion works fine. Dragging the normal HUD items also works fine, they seem to update the position slower than the popups. Let me know if you need a demonstration video of this. This might be specific to my system and is only a minor issue anyway.

I understand PT4 does not officially support wine. But considering that it is already working close to perfect, maybe the team could get 1) fixed? With the dropdown issue gone, I think PT4 would be perfectly usable in wine.
Attachments
Screenshot-PokerTracker LeakTracker.png
Screenshot-PokerTracker Results.png
Screenshot-Hud Profile Editor.png
plexiq

Postby kraada » Sun May 17, 2015 10:52 am

I'll mention it to the appropriate people but I can't guarantee we'll get a fix in for you. If you use ctrl+click and drag with the HUD locked does it move better?
kraada

Postby plexiq » Sun May 17, 2015 11:32 am

Nope, dragging HUD popups via ctrl+click is also jumpy. Just as clarification: Dragging the normal HUD elements works perfectly fine, only HUD popups are affected.
plexiq

Postby kraada » Sun May 17, 2015 11:43 am

Got it, thanks for the clarification.
kraada

Postby hotchili » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Hey there,

I can also confirm this works pretty well overall with wine, also is the reason I bought this and not HM2 :)

But there is some bug which is super annoying, if you are close to the screen edges (for example pokerstars table top left corner)
and you click the hud so that the popup stats appear, the hud layout jumps and is off by some centimeters.
It is as if there is an invisible wall at the screen edges, only workaround I found is to move the table a little bit away
from the screen edges, then it works perfect. I made a custom layout in stars for that, so it is not really a big deal.

Maybe you guys should think about releasing this software native for linux, you seem to support mac os already,
so maybe it is not so much work to crosscompile it for linux too? I think in the future everything will be about
cross plattform compatibility anyway. For example Steam also supports Linux since some time now, there are already
like 1000 Games available! So maybe more people will have Linux as main operating system in the future :heart:
hotchili

Postby kraada » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm not aware of plans to release a native Linux version at this time, but if that changes I'll let you know.
kraada

Postby Enomai » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:43 am

Just thought I'd throw in my vote for official Linux support, too. PT4's the only thing that's been keeping me from switching for a long time, but with Microsoft's constant erosion of privacy in Windows I thought it was time to take the plunge.
Got PT4 working well enough in Wine on Ubuntu, although with the same issues described above (jumpy HUD elements and invisible wall around the edge of the screen that pushes the HUD overlay around.) Unable to get the HUD working properly on Mint, though. It shows up, but trying to move anything or select any menu option causes it to freeze, as does stopping or restarting the HUD, so I'm stuck with the default stats and layout.
Enomai

Postby PJs Ronin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:44 pm

As most of the poker room clients are coded for the Windows environment, that's where PT4 et al must live. Sure, you can use Wine, but I feel a better option is to create a Windows VM under a Linux OS. Put nothing in the VM except the poker clients and PT4 and take snapshots b4 anything is updated. This method is stable, does not get viruses and if the poker room or Pokertracker introduces a problem that denigrates/crushes your system you can just roll back to a previous snapshot and continue like nothing happened.
PJs Ronin

Postby feydreva » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:10 am

Hello,

Some years have passed now.
Winamax support Linux with wine. they have a tutorial on how to use winamax with wine, and there is a box to check in the set up for it.
Pokerstars works flawlessly with linux

Concerning PT4 : main issue is with the HUD, moving windows is painfull, and transparency could work better (works better on windows)

I wish we could get a Pokertracker 4 (or 5?:p) that works nativelly with linux. With Appimage and this kind of technology, it is easier to maintain.
feydreva

Previous

Return to PokerTracker 4