Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Re: PT4 on Linux?

Postby Supp3rMario » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:56 am

What computer specs do you have?
Supp3rMario

Postby kraada » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:03 pm

I'd also like to point out that while I do have sympathies towards all Linux users (as I was one myself for over a decade), PT4 does not officially support Linux, so where there are pieces that do work in WINE, what doesn't work we really can't help much with.
kraada

Postby PJs Ronin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:38 pm

kraada wrote:I'd also like to point out that while I do have sympathies towards all Linux users (as I was one myself for over a decade)....

Gone back to the dark side huh? Come the revolution this shall... never mind. :)

Anyway, back to OP's position. To the best of my knowledge Wine provides a link between Windows APIs and Linux based on a set of parameters designed for each Windows configuration the user selects... XP, Win7 etc. It does not create a complete Windows environment per se, thus some of the things PT4 and/or the poker clients do may not get trapped/interpreted. Virtualbox (and VMWare) create a space (with APIs) into which a full Windows installation is inserted. It is the same Windows environment in a virtual space as you would create in native space and hence the reason why I believe there are fewer problems running PT4 under VB than under Wine.

In my own case, I have been running PT3, PT4, Win XP, Win 7 and the poker clients in VB under Linux for about 3 years.

The real difference between Wine and VB is that in VB you need a full Windows licence.
PJs Ronin

Postby Tenshin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:33 pm

I'm using an Acer Aspire 6930g notebook: Core 2 Duo T6400 2.00 Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 and Nvidia 9600m GT. I have it for several years and still works great.

I'm back on Windows 7 now. There's no point for me to use VM in Linux, I'd rather just have a single boot with no VM stuff, and Win7 is great. But if PT4 worked under WINE I would've stayed on Linux without a second thought :) . I wonder if PS is gonna support native Linux will you have to port PT to Linux also? (PokerStars already works almost flawless under WINE though)
Anyway, the future looks bright for Linux. We have Valve pushing Steam and gaming towards Linux and with that many people are gonna switch. Also, Ubuntu has a great user friendly interface.
I think it's only a matter of time.
Tenshin

Postby yura » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:47 am

Tried it myself the other day. The program is established, the database is created, the hands are imported graphics are displayed. But when you start HUD appears high loading HDD, from HUD shown only "trial ...". Next PT4 hangs.

Ubuntu 12.04(xfce), wine 1.5, postgresql-9.0.13-2-linux.run

Why appears high loading HDD?
May be wine 1.6?
yura

Postby profipimp » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:35 am

OK,

I have it working with Ubuntu 14.04 and Wine 1.7 (connected through the local ubuntu postgres server, not the windows one)!
Because of the connection through the unix postgres, the internal backup tools are not working, since they expect the Windows build of PG.
But you can export/import hands and tournaments, so you can actually transfer all your old data (takes a lot of time though).
If you click "Display last hand" the HUD starts appearing, and even the extended details after a click on the overlays is working!
profipimp

Postby kraada » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:38 pm

WINE isn't officially supported at this point in time, but if the HUD works properly that is the biggest bug that I knew of with WINE (there was an issue with alpha transparency).
kraada

Postby profipimp » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:25 am

profipimp

Postby kraada » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:31 am

Nice! I'm glad to see that bug got fixed.
kraada

Postby Supp3rMario » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:56 am

profipimp wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxcudhhetc8gftg/HUD_wine_17.png

OMG OMG OMG is it real?
Supp3rMario

PreviousNext

Return to PokerTracker 4