Unable to connect to database (2)

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Unable to connect to database (2)

Postby Npyu_system » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:16 am

Hello,

I am sorry to create a different thread about this but it seems my issue has not alot in common with the other new user (i think).

The error message came (it seems) after the last update of pokertracker 4.
I tried to use the "postgrespass" password - didn't work
I tried to edit the pg_hba.conf file to remove the postgreSQL password - didn't work.
I tried to run PT4 anyway to see the details of my database and noticed it didn't use the default port (5434 or something) but still unable to connect by manually entering the correct database infos.
I then used the "services" panel of windows and found two PostgreSQL in the list :
- PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3
- postgresql-x64-9.0 - PostgreSQL Server 9.0

And none of them is working when I try to start them manually through the services panel.
And the windows error logs shows either :
"starting time period exceeded"
"Key file postmaster.pid already exists"
"could not create any TCP/IP sockets"

I use PT4 for quite a while on this computer. No major changes were done lately to my knowledge.
Windows 7

Thank you for your help.
Npyu_system

Re: Unable to connect to database (2)

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Updating PT4 doesn't affect PostgreSQL at all, and certainly won't have changed your password.

It could be that your system crashed while PostgreSQL was running - the "postmaster.pid" file is a lock file which prevents PostgreSQL running twice and if it already exists when the service isn't running that can cause problems.

If you have that file in the "data" folder in either of your PostgreSQL installations delete it and then try starting the service again.
WhiteRider

Postby Npyu_system » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:01 pm

Yeah lol, I have no clue actually :D . I didnt mean the problem was caused by the update, I just mentioned that if ever it could be an additional information for you.
Whatever.

The "postmaster.pid" was present indeed in the PostgreSQL 9.0 data folder.
But removing the file did not solve the problem.

And now the error logs show only the "time exceeded" and the "could not create any TCP/IP sockets" errors.
Npyu_system

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:33 pm

I suspect those messages are just telling you that the service didn't start. Security software can also prevent PostgreSQL from starting so please read the Firewall Guide.
If that doesn't help you could try uninstalling and reinstalling PostgreSQL as described in the guides here.
WhiteRider

Postby Npyu_system » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:03 am

Thank you for your suggestions.
I followed the firewall guide and added all the exceptions needed in both windows and kaspersky firewalls.
Restarted computer and tried to launch PT4.
It did not solve the problem.

Now, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling PostgreSQL as you suggest but before I do that I have a question :

As I have two versions of PostgreSQL (8.3 and 9.0) which are located in 2 different locations (the first one in program file (x86) and the other in the regular program file, which should I uninstall and reinstall ?
Both ?
Or uninstall both and only reinstall the lastest ? i.e. 9.0 ?

And btw, I have no idea why I have 2 different versions installed, is that normal ? Maybe due to the fact that I had PT3 and then upgraded to PT4 ?

Thank you for your help.

PS : oh, also, I noticed that the postmaster.pid file was recreated in the data folder of the 9.0 PostgreSQL. I deleted it one more time. But is that normal ?
Npyu_system

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:32 am

The postmaster file is created when the PostgreSQL service starts, and should be there while it is running. If it was recreated that suggests to me that the service was started. Which folder did that appear in?

If you want to reinstall you will need to keep whichever version you're currently using.
Our recommended version is 9.0, but if your databases are in 8.3 then you'll need to use that (initially at least).
WhiteRider

Postby Npyu_system » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:22 am

The postmaster file appeared in the data folder of postgreSQL 9.0 (C:/programs/postgreSQL/9.0/data)

And indeed, when I look at running processus via the CTRL+ALT+SUPPR Windows tool, 4 postgres.exe are listed as running. From the 9.0 postgreSQL.

And when I try to lauch PT4, the PT4.exe appears in the processus list, then appears a "pg_ctl.exe" descripted as following (that's why I mention it to you) :
"pg_ctl - starts/stops/restarts the PostgreSQL server"
Then after 20ish seconds, this processus ends and its end happens at the same time the PT4 error message pop-up (unable to connect to database)

Not sure if that's of any help...

Also, if ever I uninstall postgreSQL, how can I make sure which version my PT4 database is using ?

Thank you.
Npyu_system

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:04 pm

That sounds like something is stopping the PostgreSQL service, and that would normally be a firewall - what firewall and antivirus software do you use? Did you read the Firewall Guide?

You tell PT4 which PostgreSQL service to use by specifying the port that it is running on, which is set when you install the PostgreSQL service.
WhiteRider

Postby Npyu_system » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Yes I followed the firewall guide and added all the exceptions needed in both windows and kaspersky firewalls but unfortunately it did not solve my problem.

And I guess the postgreSQL 9.0 was installed by one of your technician during a live support session I had because of a prior major crash issue.
So my guess would be that PT4 is using 9.0 atm.

So the next step now is to uninstall and reinstall postgreSQL ?
I have to admit that I'm a bit uncomfortable with this because I kinda have no clue on how postgreSQL is working.

Uninstalling it won't do anything to my database right ?
And I think I have also no clue about the settings postgreSQL will need when it is reinstalled.

But I guess all of that is specified in the guide you linked above ?

Anyway, thank you for your help.
Npyu_system

Postby kraada » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:42 pm

If we installed it for you we did verify it was working properly at the time. Can you please tell me what has changed on your system since then? Have you tried disabling Kaspersky completely to see if that improves things?
kraada

Next

Return to PokerTracker 4