Weirdest bug ever: PT4 doesn't know maths

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Re: Weirdest bug ever: PT4 doesn't know maths

Postby 4StarGen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 am

A new PT4 build rolls out, and this bug isn't solved yet, I don't know how to define this situation, but as a long time user, I feel ignored, at best.
PT4 is a software that spits out numbers, if they are incorrect, it is a CRITICAL problem.
Now i don't know why you are constantly avoid this fix, maybe you don't get enough complains or simply it isn't high in your priority list, in either case it is a huge fault.
I guess, 99% of the users don't know about this bug, even I that I've been using PT4 for a long time, I didn't notice that until this thread. In the meantime I've made several analysis on population which were wrong and I wonder how many player did and are doing the same.
I always raccomend PT4 but I won't in the future...

Last thing, let's look at your last release notes. Assuming you are fixing/changing/adding things base on priority list, can you please tell me how the bolded ones below are more higher in priority than the math bug?
Also I want to notice that ALL the points in the 'added' section are really easy fix, probably adding 1 string to the software code, so really not time consuming.

Removed:
Microgaming: Removed support for Microgaming cash hands due to Microgaming no longer writing cash game hand histories if you do not put money into the pot.

Added:
Microgaming: PKR: Added support for PKR tournaments.
Microgaming: Tournament Detection: Added support for "Fish Party" SNG summaries.
partypoker: fastforward: Added support for new fastforward table names.
partypoker: Tournament Detection: Added support for new structure "weight class" tournaments and new regional satellites.
partypoker: bwin.GR: Added support for bwin.GR.
partypoker: Added support fro BOT (GMT -4) timezone.
partypoker: Added partypoker premium skin support.
Winning Poker Network (WPN): Import: Added import support for downlodable Jackpot/SNG 2.0 hand histories.
PokerStars: Added support for 7-max tables.

Fixed:
iPoker: Import: Fixed an invalid date import error.
iPoker: Tournament Detection: Twisters now correctly default to 2 * (buyin + fee)
iPoker.It: Fixed buy-in amounts with commas.
iPoker: Tournament Detection: Support early end of tournaments when detecting for DON
partypoker: Import: Fixed some satellite tournaments with $ buyin and € prize importing with a € buy-in.
partypoker: Tournament Detection: Fixed villian bounties counting as double in final hand of SNG-Hero.
partypoker: Tournament Detection: Trickett's HERO now correctly detect as BOUNTY LOTTERY like other HERO games.
Microgaming: Import: Fixed hands failing to import with players containing "Blaze" in their name.
Microgaming: Import: Fixed importing of hand histories exported from HM2.
Winning Poker Network: Import: Fixed buyin detection for heads-up SNG's
Winamax: Import: Fixed prize pool from Expresso tournaments.
Hud Editor: Fixed crash if an invalid value was entered into a prefix or suffix color field.
Hud Editor: When duplicate a HUD profile, do not add "Cash" if in tournament mode.
Hud Editor: When renaming a profile, the current name is pre-populated into the edit box.
Replayer: Change export to YouTube to use OAuth rather than a user's username and password. (Windows only, Mac coming soon)

Changed:
Hud: Re-ordered HUD menu for better organization and usability.
4StarGen

Postby PJs Ronin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Support what's said ^^

I've noticed changes in PT direction over the past few years that don't sit well with me and find myself using the product less and less.
PJs Ronin

Postby APerfect10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:56 pm

This is still a very important issue for us and we will get this fixed. With my last message, I was not anticipating sites making breaking changes which we had to get out urgent fixes; hence, why we've had a few more minor releases.

We remain committed to fixing this issue soon. I suspect since it will be such a large change that we will need to release it as 4.15. Once we get close to an initial alpha release, I will contact each person in this thread individually and invite you to participate in the alpha, with the fix, prior to the public release, to ensure that it meets your expectations.

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin

Postby sawwee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 am

APerfect10 wrote:This is still a very important issue for us and we will get this fixed. With my last message, I was not anticipating sites making breaking changes which we had to get out urgent fixes; hence, why we've had a few more minor releases.

We remain committed to fixing this issue soon. I suspect since it will be such a large change that we will need to release it as 4.15. Once we get close to an initial alpha release, I will contact each person in this thread individually and invite you to participate in the alpha, with the fix, prior to the public release, to ensure that it meets your expectations.

Best regards,

Derek

Derek, some time ago you sent me in a private message saying that this issue is caused by two independent reasons:

1. There is a C++ bug with calculating floats and there being rounding errors. This bug however causes only fraction of a percent difference in the result. To fix this bug needs a lot of work.

2. There is another bug with the positional stats which makes HUGE difference in the real numbers vs. the displayed numbers. You mentioned that this issue is not related to the C++ bug and could be fixed relatively easily. You also wrote that this bug "isn't acceptable and we will make sure to get that fixed right away."

I suppose that some fracition of a percentage in the stats is not an issue for your customers, we don't expect re-write the whole source code to fix a 0.05% difference in the stats. However 10%-15%-20% difference is definitely an issue. Why don't you just fix the 2nd bug which cause the really serious errors and which is fixable relatively easily?
sawwee

Postby 4StarGen » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 am

APerfect10 wrote:This is still a very important issue for us and we will get this fixed. With my last message, I was not anticipating sites making breaking changes which we had to get out urgent fixes; hence, why we've had a few more minor releases.

Best regards,

Derek

The first post is dated Dec 14, 2014, now even if it requires a major code rerewrite, this delay isn't acceptable. Beside that, the communication wasn't well managed either, with users ignored multiple times.
When you saying 'sites making breaking changes' I don't know what to say really, beside that no breaking changes happened. A breaking change is something huge, for example a fix for zoom poker is huge since it's required a lot of work since HHs aren't written in real time. Other fixes are just plain minor.
Honestly, I don't expect an alpha in the near months.
4StarGen

Postby PJs Ronin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:30 pm

APerfect10 wrote: <snip>

I apologize for not realizing that there were two separate issues at play sooner and I appreciate everyone pounding on us to get it fixed since it helped me finally realize that there are two issues and that one of them is critical and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Best regards,

Derek

I shall need to reassess my understanding of 'critical'.
PJs Ronin

Postby Shaddi » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:55 am

Wow. Good thing I found this thread. I didn't ever think that the PT4 staff would

a. ignore their customers for an enlengthened period of time
b. not be able to fix a bug that is a division of two numbers in a timely manner

Truly not a sign of well managed source code. If it was this should have been easy to fix in minutes.
Shaddi

Postby sawwee » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Another 3 months left and nothing happened. Apparently PT4 guys doesn't care at all that PT4 HUD displays absolutely wrong numbers.

Guys, can you hear us? NUMBERS IN THE HUD ARE ABSOLUTELY WRONG! AND YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT IT! FOR 3.5 YEARS ALREADY!

It is absolutely unbelievable.

If for some mysterious reason you are not willing to fix it at least you should put a huge banner on the main page with a blinking red text saying that "NUMBERS IN PT4 HUD HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE REAL FREQUENCIES" to inform your current and future customers about what should they expect. People think that they get real information from your HUD and they are so wrong! They will actually see fake, misleading numbers, which is worse than not seeing any numbers at all.

What's the reason of you are not willing to fix this bug in spite of many promises from Dereck and others? Wanna have a nice birthday cake on the 5th birthday of this bug? Or what?
sawwee

Postby 4StarGen » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Well, seems clear to me that they don't want to fix it. The main reason could be, 99% of the users aren't aware of this critical bug. It's kinda funny though, many users use PT4 to do a mass database analysis and they don't know that frequencies are totally off. Probably the next steps is to post on 2p2, maybe there this thread will get some attention.
4StarGen

Postby PJs Ronin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:14 pm

Agreed ^^

I feel developer focus is elsewhere, HM3 perhaps.
PJs Ronin

PreviousNext

Return to PokerTracker 4