Weirdest bug ever: PT4 doesn't know maths

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Weirdest bug ever: PT4 doesn't know maths

Postby sawwee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:40 pm

I think I found the weirdest bug ever in PT4.

If you have ANY percentage type stat filtered to position in your HUD and the player you watch has many (at least tens of thousands) hands then PT4 simply makes the division calculation wrong, and by this reason the number in your HUD will be wrong, too.
Have a look on this screenshot:
PT4.png
The number in the middle in the HUD is the built in PFR stat filtered to SB. The number for sawweee is 70. Holding the mouse over the number you can see the details: it is actually 69.69%, which is the result of 348,439 actions from 545,400 opportunities. Looks okay, right? But wait a second, let's do the maths: 348,439 / 545,400 = 0.6389, with other words 63.89%, it has nothing to do with 70% or 69.69% It's pretty strange, isn't it?
Some additional information:

- I've tested it on 3 different computer in 4 different HUD profiles with at least 7-8 different stats. The problem was the same every time.
- The bug comes only in HUD, I didn't experience this problem in reports.
- The more hands the player has the more the difference will be. If the player played only a few hundreds of hands then the numbers are correct. If he played tens of thousands of hands then you will experience a few percentage difference, and if the player played hudrends of thousands of hand (for example you want to see your own stats) then the difference between the real result and the number in your HUD will be very big.
- Built in stats and custom stats are concerned, too
- Stats must be filtered to position to experience this bug

Please fix this bug asap, it's a disaster if players can't trust the numbers in their hud anymore.
sawwee

Re: Weirdest bug ever: PT4 doesn't know maths

Postby WhiteRider » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:52 am

I can't reproduce this, but we'd certainly like to find out why it happens for you. (We do have a known issue like this, but that only leads to a rounding error at the second decimal place in our experience).

Please open a Support Ticket with a link to this thread so that we can discuss further with you in detail.
WhiteRider

Postby sawwee » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:03 am

If you couldn't reproduce it I suppose that the player you tested against didn't have enough amount of hands. Please try it with the player you have the most amount of hands from.
I'll open a ticket within a few minutes, though.
sawwee

Postby sawwee » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:07 am

Ticket #160489
sawwee

Postby kraada » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Thanks we'll look into it and get back to you in your ticket.
kraada

Postby sawwee » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 pm

When will be this bug fixed? In my opinion it's quite a serious issue when you simply can't trust the numbers in your HUD!
(And before you answer "we couldn't reproduce this issue" please follow the desciption I sent you here and in my ticket, too: simply try it with a player who has a large amount of hands (at leaset a few tens of thousands.), and filter the stat to position. For more details please the first post again.)
sawwee

Postby 4StarGen » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:00 am

@sawwee: I have many positional stats too... so I'm pretty interested in what you bring up.
May I ask you how your positional stats are made? You just select the position in the HUD section or do you specify it in the relative column?
4StarGen

Postby kraada » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:41 am

This issue appears to be a result from string to decimal value conversion issues. I don't have a timescale for a fix at this point as it would not be a simple thing to change.
kraada

Postby sawwee » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:31 am

4StarGen wrote:@sawwee: I have many positional stats too... so I'm pretty interested in what you bring up.
May I ask you how your positional stats are made? You just select the position in the HUD section or do you specify it in the relative column?

Yes, I just select the position in HUD editor. The issue is the same with every stats, including built-in stats.
sawwee

Postby sawwee » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:36 am

kraada wrote:This issue appears to be a result from string to decimal value conversion issues. I don't have a timescale for a fix at this point as it would not be a simple thing to change.

I believe this issue should get the highest priority to be fixed. Probably HUD is the most frequently used funcition in PT4, I guess nearly ALL of your users use HUD. It means that nearly ALL of your users might be missleaded by the numbers in PT4 HUD. If users can't trust the numbers in PT4 HUDs anymore then it is absolutely useless to use the HUD function of PT4. Wrong information is often worse than having no information at all.

Please fix it ASAP!
sawwee

Next

Return to PokerTracker 4