Weirdest bug ever: PT4 doesn't know maths

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Re: Weirdest bug ever: PT4 doesn't know maths

Postby sawwee » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:11 pm

morny wrote:Bumped this with the developer but he will not be around until Monday.

It's Monday, do you have any news?
I just can't believe that the most essential feature of PokerTracker gives totally wrong information and PT4 developers don't care at all for 1.5 years. (Or forever?)

In this example PT4 HUD shows 74% instead of 63%. "Slightly" different, isn't it? And this is just a random stat, the situation is the same with every stat in every HUD!
At the moment it is even much better to not use PT4 HUD because having no information is still much better than having false information!
sawwee

Postby sawwee » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:18 pm

sawwee wrote:
morny wrote:Bumped this with the developer but he will not be around until Monday.

It's Monday, do you have any news?
I just can't believe that the most essential feature of PokerTracker gives totally wrong information and PT4 developers don't care at all for 1.5 years. (Or forever?)

In this example PT4 HUD shows 74% instead of 63%. "Slightly" different, isn't it? And this is just a random stat, the situation is the same with every stat in every HUD!
At the moment it is even much better to not use PT4 HUD because having no information is still much better than having false information!

Actually not "only" 1.5 years but almost 2 years, I reported this problem in 2014 December.
sawwee

Postby 4StarGen » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:45 pm

up
4StarGen

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:25 pm

I've bumped the thread with the development team to remind them to post an update here.
Flag_Hippo

Postby BillGatesIII » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:18 am

bump
BillGatesIII

Postby BillGatesIII » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:52 am

A brand new week, the sun shines, so let's try to get an answer :)
BillGatesIII

Postby 4StarGen » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Don't want to be an ass, but this is getting pretty embarassing. And this isn't a random rant from some random users, this is a serious bug
4StarGen

Postby APerfect10 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:59 pm

My apologies. I replied to sawwee's support ticket last week regarding this issue and must have forgotten to post it in here as well.

There are two issues being discussed in this thread. One, I was aware of and I do not believe that it is critical. The other one, I was not aware of and it is critical. Unfortunately, when this was first reported, I was under the impression that we were talking about the first issue and did not realize until last week that there are two issues at play.

1. Every computer programmer is aware that floating point rounding errors can result in slightly incorrect numbers. Here is a lengthy document on it, for anyone that is interested where it discusses the problem and ways to get around the issue. Here is a good discussion of the problem on Stack Exchange explaining the problem. These types of inaccuracies will result in a value being slightly off (fractions of a percent). This is what I incorrectly thought everyone was speaking about and why we have not addressed it sooner as it goes down to the core stats engine of PokerTracker and will require a major overhaul to fix a few numbers being off by fractions of a percent. We will get this fixed in a future major release of PokerTracker.

2. The second issue, which I was not aware of and is critical happens when we are performing multiplication or division of a value greater than 5 or 6 digits in length. We are not storing a large enough precision when doing these calculations. Therefore when calculating a stat based off of 100,000+ opportunities, the numbers are going to be off and get further off with each increase in the length of the number. This is critical and we will have this fixed in the 4.14.22 release. (4.14.21 will be bug fixes for regressions introduced with the 4.14.20 release).

I apologize for not realizing that there were two separate issues at play sooner and I appreciate everyone pounding on us to get it fixed since it helped me finally realize that there are two issues and that one of them is critical and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin

Postby 4StarGen » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:06 pm

Ty a lot for your update
4StarGen

Postby BillGatesIII » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:15 am

Thanks Derek for the comprehensive explanation.
BillGatesIII

PreviousNext

Return to PokerTracker 4