pointless trial

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

pointless trial

Postby sparkes25 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:31 am

i have downloaded and set up PT4 so i can test to see if i like using it, but for some reason you feel the need to stick a big red banner across each table that blocks the bets made by the players in seat 1 and 9, this pretty much makes the hud useless to me as i only play 9 handed tables.

its a bit like taking a car out for a test drive before you buy it, but the car dealer fits it with a wheel clamp before you set off.
sparkes25

Re: pointless trial

Postby kraada » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:24 am

Unfortunately this is necessary to protect the integrity of our software. You can move the banner by holding ctrl and clicking and dragging it to another location - though it will come back after a short time. The reporting is fully functional, and all of your data once stored is kept forever should you choose to make a purchase.

That said if you feel you need to experience the HUD without this banner we have a 14 day money back guarantee, so if you make a purchase, get your registration code, try it out for a week and then don't like it you can get your money back easily.
kraada

Postby sparkes25 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:01 am

kraada wrote:Unfortunately this is necessary to protect the integrity of our software. You can move the banner by holding ctrl and clicking and dragging it to another location - though it will come back after a short time. The reporting is fully functional, and all of your data once stored is kept forever should you choose to make a purchase.

That said if you feel you need to experience the HUD without this banner we have a 14 day money back guarantee, so if you make a purchase, get your registration code, try it out for a week and then don't like it you can get your money back easily.

Then you must be the only company that has a need to "protect the integrity of our software", as you are the only hud company i have found that goes out of there way to spoil there product like this. It also seems like a poor way to "protect" anything as im pretty sure i could remover the banner from the programing if i really wanted to put some effort in to it.

As far a paying for the product, its not really an issue as i have already been offered the complete pt4 package for free as i am being asked to promote pt4 to my stream viewers, i have just downloaded it to see what my viewers can expect to see/get when they do it them self.

As most of my viewers are new to poker and wont have see a HUD before, i would not expect them to be willing to $100 just to be able to try the hud without the banner, i would also not expect them to find playing poker with a banner very helpful to them or much fun.

with this in mind i think i will not be promoting your product at this time and will join the other streamers that have started promoting jivaro over pt4 and hm2 (even tho they have a lack of stats). i just think that new players will find there product easier to get started with and they would not have to spend money to get the basic product.
sparkes25

Postby danders33 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Once you make the purchase for PT4 does that work for a certain amount of time such as a year?
danders33

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:49 am

No - once you purchase PT4 you will be able to use it and all future PT4 updates for the lifetime of PT4.
WhiteRider

Postby StevenM » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:19 pm

sparkes25 wrote:Then you must be the only company that has a need to "protect the integrity of our software", as you are the only hud company i have found that goes out of there way to spoil there product like this. It also seems like a poor way to "protect" anything as im pretty sure i could remover the banner from the programing if i really wanted to put some effort in to it.

Actually this is incorrect. Most every company does something to protect the integrity of their development investment by using some form of anti-cracking and/or anti-hacking technologies. We have multiple technologies in place to assure that theft of our intellectual property does not take place, the HUD trial message is just one of many deterrents that we have integrated into the trial to accomplish that goal - and it has worked. Our protection methods are why cracked versions of PT4 are virtually non-existent (we have seen some cracks that attempt to push viruses or trojans - not wise to ever use online poker cracks for this reason), this helps us to focus our development work on the needs of our users rather than chasing after thieves. Software theft of IP is a real issue, it is a very costly problem for our industry - our trial based solutions have proven that the solution works and we have had very little negative feedback because it is a TRIAL, rather than an actual working copy. Software trials are commonly crippled in some way to allow the trial user to experience how the software works without giving the full experience to the user. For the full experience, the user must make the purchase - but on the bright side we provide a 14 day money back guarantee so if you find that you do not like PT4 with the trial message removed from the HUD - then you can ask for your money back with no questions asked as long as that is done within 14 days after your purchase.

PT4 Trial Limitations:
  • The Hud will display “TRIAL: Please Register”, this display can be relocated on the table but the position will reset itself every five minutes and cannot be removed in the trial version.
  • You cannot create or import custom statistics.
  • You cannot search with TableTracker.
  • There is a five second delay with “please register” splash screen at startup and shutdown.
  • If you wish to create multiple databases you must purchase PokerTracker 4

As far a paying for the product, its not really an issue as i have already been offered the complete pt4 package for free as i am being asked to promote pt4 to my stream viewers, i have just downloaded it to see what my viewers can expect to see/get when they do it them self.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get PT4 for free? We have no record of any registered licenses under your name. Any third party company that would have asked you to promote PT4 to your stream viewers would have to confirm this via our team first, yet we have no record of you. We keep a database of twitch streamers so we can match their Pokertracker.com accounts, any help you can provide so we can match your account would be appreciated - plus it could help you earn commissions as an affiliate for PokerTracker in the future. We checked your twitch stream at http://www.twitch.tv/sparkes25/profile/past_broadcasts and found that you have no past broadcasts - we could have figured it out from looking at your videos but alas that was not possible since the videos did not exist. Any insight you can provide would be helpful, thnx!

As most of my viewers are new to poker and won't have see a HUD before, i would not expect them to be willing to $100 just to be able to try the hud without the banner, i would also not expect them to find playing poker with a banner very helpful to them or much fun.

We work with Twitch streamers on a daily basis, there has been no major issues with video gamers that are new to poker complaining about the trial message appearing in the HUD. Video gamers are used to trial games that are crippled and/or time limited, they tend to understand that to get the full experience you must purchase the full version first. Additionally we should note that you may be applying too much focus on the HUD, the real value of PokerTracker is in the reports and filters away from the table. This is where new players learn to fix mistakes, the HUD is just a productivity tool to help you play at multiple tables. It is something brand new players coming over from the video gaming world do not yet need while testing a trial of an application. In time, yes the HUD will become very valuable to these video gamer converts to poker - but we are comfortable with the fact that the HUD trial message is not a real concern in the big picture.

Additionally I should also note that your understanding of pricing is wrong, we charge only $59.99 for our low stakes version which is ideal for beginning players.

with this in mind i think i will not be promoting your product at this time and will join the other streamers that have started promoting jivaro over pt4 and hm2 (even tho they have a lack of stats). i just think that new players will find there product easier to get started with and they would not have to spend money to get the basic product.

We watch what is happening on Twitch on a daily basis, there is only one streamer using Jvaro - and we already know that he was paid to do so. We have no concerns here, PT4 and HM2 are used by the vast majority of streamers every day on Twitch. Some choose to not display their HUD on the stream, but they are using our products in the background. Jvaro is really a social networking and hand sharing database tool that happens to have a 3 stat HUD - whereas our software does all this, and contains thousands of stats to choose from and an infinite way to build your own reports for post-game analysis. Its like comparing Apples to Oranges, they are both poker software tools but they have very little in common - its a night and day difference.

We hope this post helps to better communicate what our goals and intentions are within our trial. We have used this method for quite a few years now, its worthiness has been proven. Let us know if you have any other questions, we will be happy to help.

- StevenM
StevenM

Return to PokerTracker 4