sql disk usage crazy high

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

sql disk usage crazy high

Postby QOTSAfan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:02 pm

its routinely been freezing pokertracker and other programs w disk write speeds at 8-190MB/s acc to task manager

would like some help sorting that out

thanks
QOTSAfan

Re: sql disk usage crazy high

Postby QOTSAfan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:27 pm

9.3 and 4.13.5
QOTSAfan

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:21 am

If you're playing a lot of tables at once, or doing a manual import or some housekeeping function, that will generate a lot of disk updates. What were you doing at the time?
WhiteRider

Postby QOTSAfan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:29 pm

WhiteRider wrote:If you're playing a lot of tables at once, or doing a manual import or some housekeeping function, that will generate a lot of disk updates. What were you doing at the time?

lotta tables multiple sites, but... hard to believe that should send a year old desktop clipping out disk usage?

any steps to minimize it?
QOTSAfan

Postby WhiteRider » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:49 am

Disk access has always been the limiting factor as far as trackers are concerned - there is a lot of data to store and retrieve and it all has to be written and read from the disk, which is a relatively slow process. PostgreSQL and Windows will utilize your RAM to cache some of the data, but when a lot is being added to the database that does all need to be written to the physical disk. A powerful modern computer should cope with a fair number of tables, but there will always be a point at which the load outweighs the available resources.
You could try rebuilding your database cache, but if you're not noticing slow updates in the Hud or something then it's unlikely to be out of date and I assume you have a pretty large database so that will take some time.

I assume you have a 64-bit system and installed the 64-bit version of PostgreSQL 9.3? (If you have the 32-bit version then that will make a difference as it can't utilize as much RAM.)
How much RAM do you have?
Do you have an SSD or a normal HDD?
How much free space do you have on your drive? (If space is low that will slow disk access considerably, even on an SSD.)
If you have a normal hard drive you may need to degrag it, although I believe that Windows 8 does that automatically from time to time.
WhiteRider

Postby QOTSAfan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:51 pm

WhiteRider wrote:I assume you have a 64-bit system and installed the 64-bit version of PostgreSQL 9.3? i think its the 64 bit version but cant find that info, somehow seems over my head to find this simple piece of info on the installed postgres? (If you have the 32-bit version then that will make a difference as it can't utilize as much RAM.)
How much RAM do you have? 8gb
Do you have an SSD or a normal HDD? normal
How much free space do you have on your drive? 348/922 (If space is low that will slow disk access considerably, even on an SSD.)

every time i open the view stats tab for the first time in a session lately it freezes pt4 and often one or more pokersites for multiple seconds

its gone to |not responding: for a long time, but freezing other programs is new
QOTSAfan

Postby kraada » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Please restart PT4 using the logging enabled link on your Start Menu, reproduce this problem and then report it via our support system with the log file - that will help us figure out what is going on here and get it fixed for you. You can find that file by clicking File --> Show User Data Folder in the main PT4 window - the file we need is the text file called PokerTracker4 that is in that folder.
kraada

Postby csapi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:44 pm

I have the same problem. Big DB and 7-800 mb/s ssd i/o usage when I open a HUD pop-up. What could be the bottleneck. MAybe samsung evo 860 i/o speeds?
csapi

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:20 am

So we can see what's going on here and follow up with you please enable logging, reproduce this issue and send us your PokerTracker4.log file in a Support Ticket:

Guide: How to Create & Submit a PokerTracker4.log File
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4