Unable to login to database (postgres). Reason: FATAL: passw

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Unable to login to database (postgres). Reason: FATAL: passw

Postby h00dlam » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:58 am

Dear PT-Team,

I am runnning Poker Tracker 4 on my Mac (OS Sierra) since yesterday.
I tried to install as steinpilz told me in one of his videos...
When I wanted to launch the program the first time, it said there is no PostgresSQL Database...
so I read about it and got PostgresSQL manually. Now I have PostgresSQL 9.4 and this is not even supportet by PT4

when I want to launch PT4 it is now telling me "Unable to login to database (postgres). Reason: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres""

I did just tried any solution which is on your homepage, but I even cant't find the an document named "pg_hba.conf" to change "m5" into "trust".

I am just very unhappy about the software, and that it wont work easiely... I even cant contact the support -.-

How do I get it running?????

Please can anybody help me for example with team viewer?

Best regards from Berlin

Nico Nissl
h00dlam

Re: Unable to login to database (postgres). Reason: FATAL: p

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:05 am

If you don't remember the password you used when manually installing PostgreSQL then you can overrride that as follows:

1. Run the Terminal application found at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

2. Type sudo nano /Library/PostgreSQL/9.4/data/pg_hba.conf. Type in your OS X administrator password if requested. This will start the Nano text editor inside of the Terminal window.

3. Use the down arrow key to scroll to the bottom of the file to replace all instances of the word md5, with the word trust.

4. Click CTRL+O to save the file, then CTRL+X to exit the text editor.

5. Restart your computer to enable the changes.

PokerTracker 4/PostgreSQL will accept any password now.
Flag_Hippo

Postby h00dlam » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:33 am

first time that I could change it into "trust"

But when I hit CTRL+O and afterwards CTRL+X it just makes a sound that it did not work.
Terminal stays opened

I tried to close the Terminal manually an restarted the Mac, but it won't work:/

any ideas
h00dlam

Postby h00dlam » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:11 am

I can't hit CTRL + O either CTRL + X

I think it is just not saving it or closing the terminal. :cry:
h00dlam

Postby h00dlam » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:05 am

everything works now! thank you
h00dlam

Postby huntert545 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:56 pm

I am having an issue, I followed the directions and posted sudo nano /Library/PostgreSQL/X.X/data/pg_hba.conf. into terminal but there is not script that comes up. Nothing really happens so I can't go an edit out the text to "trust".

This is what terming looks like: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y0girn5yjl9t ... MJH4a?dl=0

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you
huntert545

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:16 am

You need to substitute x.x with your PostgreSQL version number and remove the full stop at the end. Run Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal and at the terminal type:

Code: Select all
sudo nano /Library/PostgreSQL/x.x/data/pg_hba.conf

(where x.x is your PostgreSQL version e.g. 8.4, 9.0, 9.3) and hit enter. Type in your OS X administrator password if requested. This will start the Nano text editor inside of the Terminal window. Once the pg_hba.conf file is opened you will need to edit it. Scroll to the bottom of the document and in both places you see the word 'md5', replace it with 'trust'. When you have made these changes press ctrl+o and enter to save the file then ctrl+x to exit and you can close the window. Restart your computer and PostgreSQL will now accept any password.
Flag_Hippo

Postby huntert545 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Thank you! I really appreciate the answer. I am now able to see the code, but when I change the instances of "md5" to "trust" when I try to save and exit, it beeps as if there is an error, and control X does not close the terminal. If I try to close terminal, it asks me if I want to terminate or cancel. Regardless what I do up until that point, it doesn't save and make the change (that I can tell).

Again, thank you for your response. It's really unfortunate that PT4 support is depending on threads like this, but I really appreciate it.
huntert545

Postby huntert545 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:38 pm

I got the coding to work. Saved and exited.

Now there is a new postgres error, "Reason: could not connect to server: no such file or directory Is the server running..."

I'll check those forums on that topic and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks again.
huntert545

Next

Return to PokerTracker 4