Newb just bought PT4: Can't connect to DB

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Newb just bought PT4: Can't connect to DB

Postby pokerlime » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:06 am

I apologize in advance if there's a guide elsewhere.

My trial expired, and I just bought PT4 Holdem Tracker.

I notice that I can no longer connect to the database and the default database that was working fine during the trial.

Can someone provide some guidance to a tech newb?
pokerlime

Re: Newb just bought PT4: Can't connect to DB

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:10 am

Did you reinstall PokerTracker 4 and/or PostgreSQL (the program where PokerTracker 4 stores your poker data) between the trial and entering your code? Locate and delete the postmaster.pid file if it is present (not "postmaster.opts" which may be there too). You can find that file in C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\ although you may have a different PostgreSQL version (e.g. 8.4, 9.0) or have it installed in C:\Program Files (x86). Once it's deleted, reboot and see if PokerTracker 4 can now start.
Flag_Hippo

Postby pokerlime » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:48 am

I wasn't aware that I was supposed to reinstall PT4. I just figured that I'd just continue to be able to use it as I was during the trials.

I uninstalled and reinstalled, and still have the same issue.

*Unable to login to database (postgres). Reason: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)...*

I don't mind losing the database at this point from the last month, but just want to get it running.
pokerlime

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:28 am

pokerlime wrote:I wasn't aware that I was supposed to reinstall PT4. I just figured that I'd just continue to be able to use it as I was during the trials. I uninstalled and reinstalled, and still have the same issue.

I just asked if you reinstalled anything - you figured correctly that it isn't required between using the trial and entering your code but that is what some users do. Did you now just reinstall PokerTracker 4 or did you do the same with PostgreSQL? Did you try deleting the postmaster.pid file as I suggested?

Locate and delete the postmaster.pid file if it is present (not "postmaster.opts" which may be there too). You can find that file in C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\ although you may have a different PostgreSQL version (e.g. 8.4, 9.0) or have it installed in C:\Program Files (x86). Once it's deleted, reboot and see if PokerTracker 4 can now start. If not click your Windows Start button then type the following command:

services.msc

and click on it when it appears. Do you see the PostgreSQL service in the list? Is it started, or can you start it?

Open the Event Viewer (in the same way - if you type 'event' you should see it). In the top left section, expand "Windows Logs" and click on "Application". Do you see any recent errors in the top center section for PostgreSQL? If you do let us know what they say.
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4