PT4 v.4.14.24 - Unable to login to database

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

PT4 v.4.14.24 - Unable to login to database

Postby zicko1234 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:20 pm

After update I can't login to the database (postgres)

Couldn't connect to server - Connection refused

I'm using default configurations:
Server: localhost
Port: 5432
Service User: postgres
Service User Password: svcPASS83
Database User: postgres
Database User Password: dbpass

Haven't done changes to the postgres SQL either. Is this an issue in the newest update?
zicko1234

Re: PT4 v.4.14.24 - Unable to login to database

Postby zicko1234 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:45 pm

It's an issue with postgresql, can't start HM2 either
zicko1234

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:37 am

Locate and delete the postmaster.pid file if it is present (not "postmaster.opts" which may be there too). You can find that file in C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\ although you may have a different PostgreSQL version (e.g. 8.4, 9.0) or have it installed in C:\Program Files (x86). Once it's deleted, reboot and try starting PokerTracker 4 again.
Flag_Hippo

Postby KsTcBestHand » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Flag_Hippo wrote:Locate and delete the postmaster.pid file if it is present (not "postmaster.opts" which may be there too). You can find that file in C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\ although you may have a different PostgreSQL version (e.g. 8.4, 9.0) or have it installed in C:\Program Files (x86). Once it's deleted, reboot and try starting PokerTracker 4 again.

Hi. Having a similar issue not being able to log into the postgres database. My PostgreSQL 8.4 is located in C:\postgreSQL. There is not a postmaster.pid in C:\postgreSQL\8.4\data, only a postgresql.conf file and nothing else. What can I do to fix this?

Some other things I have already tried:
Went to services.msc and I could see that the PostgreSQL service was not running. I pressed the button to start the service, and after about a minute an error came up:

"Windows could not start the postgresql-8.4 - PostgreSQL Server 8.4 service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Also excluded the PT4 and postgres.exe from being blocked by firewall (Comodo) and forwarded port 5432 on my router (not sure if that would do anything).

This problem has gone on for about 2 weeks but I am just trying to address it now. I have rebooted the PC several times since the initial discovery that it wasn't working.

The exact error message I get is:
Unable to login to database (postgres) - reason:could not connect to server: connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "???" and accepting TCPT/IP connection on port 5432?

It's slightly different than the message on https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4/troubleshooting/postgresql-troubleshooting#problems
KsTcBestHand

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Click your Windows Start button then type the following command:

event viewer

and click on it when it appears. In the top left section, expand "Windows Logs" and click on "Application". Do you see any recent errors in the top center section for PostgreSQL? If you do let us know what they say.
Flag_Hippo

Postby KsTcBestHand » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Flag_Hippo wrote:Click your Windows Start button then type the following command:

event viewer

and click on it when it appears. In the top left section, expand "Windows Logs" and click on "Application". Do you see any recent errors in the top center section for PostgreSQL? If you do let us know what they say.

Yes, I see the following errors:

2017-04-21 14:49:57 CDT FATAL: could not create shared memory segment: 8
2017-04-21 14:49:57 CDT DETAIL: Failed system call was MapViewOfFileEx.
Timed out waiting for server startup
KsTcBestHand

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:31 am

That particular message from the Event Viewer usually means security software on your computer is preventing PostgreSQL from starting when your computer does so to rule that out what you can do is this:

1. Run a full system scan to check for infections on your computer. 

If everything comes back clean temporarily uninstall all security programs (firewalls, anti-virus/malware, etc.). Disabling them or turning them off won't be enough.

Don't visit other web sites, download other files or emails until they're reinstalled.

2. Reboot your computer.

3. Start PokerTracker4 and see if it will run now - if it does that means PostgreSQL is now able to start up.

4. If PokerTracker 4 still won't start go to your PostgreSQL data folder and copy (don't move) the postgresql.conf file to C:.

Rename C:\postgresql.conf to C:\postgresql.txt and attach it to a Support Ticket along with a link to this thread. This file has PostgreSQL configuration options and your trouble could related to the settings in this file. Finally, open the Event Viewer once more and look at the last couple PostgreSQL entries and see if there are any new errors.

5. Regardless of what happens above, reinstall your security software.
Flag_Hippo

Postby KsTcBestHand » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Sorry to take so long, but I wanted to come back with an update. I was not excited to uninstall my security software, so I first made sure all of the relevant PT4 and postgres applications were whitelisted in all of my security software.

I did a lot of googling and went into the Event Viewer in Windows to see if there were any error message for postgres. There were errors shown about postgres which pointed to problems with shared buffers. After some more googling I saw that there is a file called "postgresql.conf" which has settings for shares buffers and max connections. I opened the postgresql.conf file and saw the following for shared buffers:

"# Modified 'shared_buffers' from '32MB' to '1024MB' by PokerTracker 4.14.21"

I changed the value back to 32MB and PT4 opened right away as usual (and the postgres service started). Everything is working fine now except that I am getting a window popping up frequently called Interactive Services Detection telling me a program is trying to display a message it states that the program is postgres.exe. When I try to view the message a blank command box comes up. Postgres is running as per services.msc and I was using PT4 with no issues last night. I am thinking of disabling this error message if I don't see any problems after a week or so. I do see some message in the Event Viewer which may be related to this saying:

"The description for Event ID 0 from source dbupdate cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted... The following information was included with the event: Service started."

Do you think I would be able to changed the shared buffers number higher than 32MB and possibly make the message go away, or do you have an idea why I am getting this message? Thanks.
KsTcBestHand

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:51 pm

No problem and thanks for the update. As I mentioned in step 4 that file can be the cause of the connection issue and we typically see the 'memory segment' error in older PostgreSQL versions such as v8.3 and v8.4 which are no longer supported by PostgreSQL. If you are using an older PostgreSQL I'd recommend backing up your database(s) and then upgrading PostgreSQL to v9.3 which is our recommended version (PostgreSQL versions above 9.3 are not currently supported by PokerTracker).
Flag_Hippo

Postby KsTcBestHand » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:23 pm

I'll do that, thanks.
KsTcBestHand

Next

Return to PokerTracker 4