New SSD vs performance

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

New SSD vs performance

Postby Drainus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:26 pm

I have a rather technical question, I am considering buying a new SSD disk to expand my database and store it on the disk. Currently I have a smaller SSD disk on which I store my database, also my Win7 is running on it. My question is - if I buy a new SSD drive, will it affect the performance of the database, if it is not going to be on the same disk as Win7? The database is going to be approximately 100GB.
Drainus

Re: New SSD vs performance

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:02 am

The easiest way to do that is backup your existing database(s), uninstall PostgreSQL and then reinstall it to the other drive although you would get the best performance from having only the database on the other drive and PostgreSQL still installed on your Windows drive which you can do by creating a tablespace via PGAdmin.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Drainus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Ok, so PostgreSQL should optimally be on the windows drive, but in terms of performance - having the whole database on the other drive should not affect the speed significantly?
Drainus

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:31 am

As long as the other drive is also an SSD then there shouldn't be any noticeable change in performance.
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4