remote Database (AWS)

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

remote Database (AWS)

Postby Forstning » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:53 pm

I would like to use a remote database since i tend to play on different macs in very different areas. so i thought i could use AWS as remote database. Sadly PT seems to block the connection. Is there any way to use AWS as database?
Forstning

Re: remote Database (AWS)

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:46 am

That's not something I am familiar with and it's somewhat outside the scope of our support. It is possible to use a remote PostgreSQL server but doing so over anything other than a local network may introduce significant delays.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Forstning » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:22 am

Hello Hippo,

Thank you for your reply. Well in times of VDSL 200MBit it shouldnt be a problem to send some calls to a remote database. I would like to test it by myself. Sadly i can not connect via pokertracker. But it is not blocked by pokertracker, right? I just want to clarify, that the problem is on my side and not at pokertracker.
Forstning

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:16 pm

While PokerTracker 4 was not developed to support remote database access it doesn't block it and your PostgreSQL Server needs to be configured to allow data to be sent to and from it.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Poker Actuary » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:38 am

I realize this is a necro response to a 4-year-old post, but it's what came up when I searched the same question, so I thought I'd add my experience.

I was able to get PT4 working on an AWS PostgreSQL RDS with no problem. I'm using the free tier eligible configuration (db.t2.micro, 20 GiB storage, 1 GB RAM) and I don't notice any lag. HUD pops up a few seconds after the hand ends, just like when I used a locally installed DB.

The only caveats are:
  • Don't choose a PostgreSQL version above 9.6. I'm using 9.6.20.
  • Make sure you properly configure inbound and outbound rules so the server can be reached by your IP address. (VPC settings)
Poker Actuary

Postby tatanka916 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:12 pm

I saw your post about using PT4 with AWS. I set up a postgreSQL DB with AWS but I'm having issues connecting. I modified the inbound and outbound rules to allow all traffic from any IP (just to leave it open to make sure things work). The issue I run into is that PokerTracker says "No PokerTracker 4 databases found". How do I get it to set one up?
tatanka916

Postby Poker Actuary » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:15 pm

Create a new database in PT4 using your AWS sever information (i.e. Server, User, Port, Password). I started with a fresh database, but I suppose you could restore an older one locally into your AWS database using the PT4 "Restore..." button.
Poker Actuary

Postby wems » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:00 pm

I’m also having trouble connecting to AWS. PT4 will act is if it was not responding and then after a few minutes it says it cannot connect
wems

Postby wems » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:06 pm

I guess I'm having trouble setting up the VPC rules. Do you have any insight on how to do that properly?
wems

Return to PokerTracker 4