PostgreSQL 10 supported?

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Re: PostgreSQL 10 supported?

Postby powi8 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:27 am

I will be installing Pg 11 on a new 1TB SSD system today. I'm interested in Pg 11's JIT expression acceleration.
powi8

Postby leviathan74 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:18 pm

WhiteRider wrote:Databases created in one version of PostgreSQL cannot be used in another version so just updating PostgreSQL (without backing up & restoring your databases) would not work.
However there are technical differences in the way later/different PostgreSQL versions work - in theory the core functionality should be compatible, but there are subtle differences which I understand can cause problems in some rare cases. I don't know exactly what causes this, and you may find that it works perfectly well for you, but it's also possible that you may have problems further down the line or in ways that aren't immediately obvious.
Unless you have an extremely large database I think you're unlikely to see any significant improvement in performance, although I don't have any figures for that. Did you need to upgrade PostgreSQL for some other reason than PT4?

I am getting very interested in updating to postgresql 10 because I discovered that their developers have added multi-thread support. It's my understanding that up to version 9.6, postgresql used one thread per connection, which really means as far as I understand that whenever you performed an action in pokertracker only one core of your CPU was used (which again btw, IIRC it's the reason I read it was better if you disabled hyperthreading).

In a world in which multi-core cpus are becoming the norm, I suspect that Postgresql's support of multi-threading will give a significant performance boost especially when manipulating large datasets away from the table.

Could you please take look into it so as to iron out any potential problems there may be?

Also, just to make clear, if I want to give it a try myself, what should I do? Backup all of my databases, upgrade to the latest version and then restore the database under the new version?
leviathan74

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:46 am

You can either backup your data and then restore that to a newer PostgreSQL version or alternatively if space isn't an issue you can try things out by installing a second instance of PostgreSQL alongside your current one by using a different port e.g. 5433.
Flag_Hippo

Postby leviathan74 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Thank you. I will give it a try in the near future and I will let you know how it goes.
leviathan74

Previous

Return to PokerTracker 4