PostgreSQL 10 supported?

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

PostgreSQL 10 supported?

Postby PeteX » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:37 am

Is the newly released PostgreSQL v10 supported with PT4? Or has anybody tried it and found it working?

I have 9.3 and 9.5 PostgreSQL versions on my comp and I'm thinking about getting rid of them and installing just PostgreSQL v10, but I won't do it if PT doesn't work with it.
PeteX

Re: PostgreSQL 10 supported?

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:55 pm

We have had some issues reported with newer versions of PostgreSQL and v9.3 is the current recommended version for PokerTracker 4.
Flag_Hippo

Postby BillGatesIII » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:24 pm

@Flag_Hippo: Can you tell us the issues? I've been running PT4 with PostgreSQL 10 for almost a day now and it looks ok.
    BillGatesIII

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:11 am

I am not aware of any specific issues with that version as it was only released a couple of days ago. As this is a new major version of PostgreSQL then there will more significant changes to its core functionality so it's possible that this could cause an issue with PokerTracker 4. You're welcome to continue using it as long as it is working OK for you but if you experience any problems you should consider reverting to 9.3.
    Flag_Hippo

Postby BillGatesIII » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:01 am

I'm running PostgreSQL 9.6 for over a year now and didn't experience any problems. But I'm not a hardcore grinder, I'm a just nerd who likes to play now and then :geek:

Anyway, if I do find something weird with the 10 version, I'll let you know via a support ticket.
      BillGatesIII

Postby uniqueuser » Tue May 08, 2018 3:16 pm

any update on this?

According to https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-10.html the release notes looks very promising. Especially considering PT is very read-heavy application:

Major enhancements in PostgreSQL 10 include:

Logical replication using publish/subscribe

Declarative table partitioning

Improved query parallelism

Significant general performance improvements

Stronger password authentication based on SCRAM-SHA-256

Improved monitoring and control
      uniqueuser

Postby gameslave » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:15 am

Any news considering PostgreSQL 10 support?
      gameslave

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:43 am

I have no further updates about PostgreSQL 10. I believe we have some users using it without problems but I've also seen occasional reports of problems even in the higher 9.x versions as some of the core mechanics changed so we can't guarentee correct behaviour in all cases.
      WhiteRider

Postby powi8 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:34 am

After upgrading beyond 9.3 I had problems with PT4 reports running forever with databases imported using 9.3 but after I reimported these databases using the later version of Postgresql I encountered no issues.

Is this why you suggest not upgrading beyond 9.3 or is there more?
      powi8

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:43 am

Databases created in one version of PostgreSQL cannot be used in another version so just updating PostgreSQL (without backing up & restoring your databases) would not work.
      However there are technical differences in the way later/different PostgreSQL versions work - in theory the core functionality should be compatible, but there are subtle differences which I understand can cause problems in some rare cases. I don't know exactly what causes this, and you may find that it works perfectly well for you, but it's also possible that you may have problems further down the line or in ways that aren't immediately obvious.
      Unless you have an extremely large database I think you're unlikely to see any significant improvement in performance, although I don't have any figures for that. Did you need to upgrade PostgreSQL for some other reason than PT4?
      WhiteRider

Next

Return to PokerTracker 4