Error Connecting to Default Database?

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Error Connecting to Default Database?

Postby RonnDough » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:49 am

Hi,

This happens to be almost daily :cry:

I have to create a new database several times per week

When I open PT4 I get the message "error connecting to default database" and can't even access it anymore. The size of the database is listed as N/A , Did I lose all my data?

This is a recent problem ...maybe a few months ago...Can I go back to a previous version or something ?

Please Help Me

Thank You
RonnDough

Re: Error Connecting to Default Database?

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Locate and delete the postmaster.pid file if it is present (not "postmaster.opts" which may be there too). You can find that file in C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\ although you may have a different PostgreSQL version (e.g. 8.4, 9.0) or have it installed in C:\Program Files (x86). Once it's deleted, reboot and try starting PokerTracker 4 again. Also if you're using any security software (such as antivirus, firewall), please make sure to follow the instructions given in the Security Software Configuration Guide. If the trouble continues then please reproduce this issue and send us your PokerTracker4.log file along with your six or seven most recent PostgreSQL log files (which will be stored in your "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/x.x/data/pg_log" folder) to a Support Ticket so we can investigate further:

Tutorial: Reporting A Problem

Guide: PostgreSQL log files
Flag_Hippo

Postby RonnDough » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Just wanted to say Thank You for the quick reply and the solution to this error.

It seems like deleting that file fixed it , so far , so good =)
RonnDough

Postby kaffee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:47 am

Hello, i have the same problem but when i delete the postmaster.pid file and reboot it appears again in the same folder
kaffee

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:07 am

That file should be there while PostgreSQL is running, so that isn't a problem in itself. The issue is if it is still there when PostgreSQL is not running, because then it won't start up again.
WhiteRider

Postby leviathan74 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 am

For the record, I also face the same problem; it goes away if I simply close and restart the program. It's annoying nonetheless.
leviathan74

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:47 am

If you're using any security software (such as antivirus, firewall), please make sure to follow the instructions given in the Security Software Configuration Guide. If the trouble continues then please reproduce this issue and send us your PokerTracker4.log file along with your six or seven most recent PostgreSQL log files (which will be stored in your "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/x.x/data/pg_log" folder) to a Support Ticket so we can investigate further:

Tutorial: Reporting A Problem

Guide: PostgreSQL log files
Flag_Hippo

Postby leviathan74 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Well, I don't think it's my security software because I have had the same firewall settings for years and this problem is relatively recent.

Can i delete the postmaster.pid file as well?
leviathan74

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:58 pm

leviathan74 wrote:Well, I don't think it's my security software because I have had the same firewall settings for years and this problem is relatively recent.

I still wouldn't rule it out and if you haven't set exceptions please do so.
leviathan74 wrote:Can i delete the postmaster.pid file as well?

Yes as long as PostgreSQL isn't running. postmaster.pid is a lock file created while PostgreSQL is running so if an older one is left behind for some reason then you can delete it manually to let PostgreSQL start again.
Flag_Hippo

Postby leviathan74 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 pm

I stand corrected. I did in fact have postgres.exe blocked in my firewall. Hopefully that solves it.
leviathan74

Return to PokerTracker 4