Database

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Database

Postby nereik » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi,

I have a full hard drive, a 30gb database and enough space on google drive to store the database, but not enough local space to create a backup.
Is there anything I can do?
nereik

Re: Database

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:50 am

The free space required to backup your database will need to be at least the same size as the database being backed up and by default the location used is:

C:\Users\{Windows Login}\AppData\Local\Temp

Therefore to complete the database backup you will either need to free up the space required or have Windows use another location if you have another drive with the free space.
Flag_Hippo

Postby nereik » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Could I also just copy the current (appdata) file to an external hard drive & set windows appdata to that hard drive as well?
nereik

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:42 pm

Those instructions I linked you to are for the 'Temp' sub-directory only and if you move anything else from the 'AppData' folder that will affect other programs as they will no longer be able to access existing files, custom settings e.t.c.
Flag_Hippo

Postby nereik » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Yes thank you, I've changed the destination to my external drive.
I'm trying to get my existing database on the external drive as well by making a backup to that destination. After a few hours I got an error about (I think) the removal of the existing files, however the new backup is only 5% of the db's size.
Will try to backup again in a bit so I know the exact error.

ty
nereik

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:23 am

nereik wrote:After a few hours I got an error about (I think) the removal of the existing files

If that's just an error relating to the removal of the temporary files like this then that should be OK you can delete the '_PT4_TEMP_BACKUP-........' folder from your new 'Temp' directory.
nereik wrote:however the new backup is only 5% of the db's size.

The backup file is compressed so that's not unusual.
Flag_Hippo

Postby nereik » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:29 am

Yes that was it ty, appreciate it.
So now to clear the original database from my local disc, I just delete the database? Or delete the C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL folder?
nereik

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:41 pm

If you are reinstalling PostgreSQL to another drive then when you uninstall PostgreSQL it will leave behind the \data folder with your database(s) so I'd recommend only deleting that directory when you have everything restored successfully on the other drive.
Flag_Hippo

Postby nereik » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:45 am

I uninstalled & reinstalled to the correct directory, however now that I'm trying to restore my DB trough the backup, I get a "validating files ...." thingy for around 24 hours now. I read somewhere that this is because note-caddy, can I cancel the current try & retry without the "user data files"?
nereik

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:40 am

Yes. If the database was already created the restore will ask you whether you want to overwrite it or not.
WhiteRider

Return to PokerTracker 4