Database size problem after purging tournament hands

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Database size problem after purging tournament hands

Postby eGeMi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:16 am

Hi,
I have this problem for several years now and I don't see the logic behind that. Yes, I do import hands from different users and I use them to have a more reliable sample. But I have period filter for my hud, so when, for example, my observed tournament hands are more than 8 months old I go and purge these tournaments. But my database keeps growing and the more bizarre thing is that right after purging the hands, the database stays the same size. Since I am playing like 35-40k hands per month or like 400 MTTs, I cannot imagine only my hands and like 1.5 million more hands should be 60+ GB of size and more important it keeps growing rapidly. Am I missing something, do I need to do anything else except purging tournaments? Do I actually remove these tournament hands when I do the purge or they keep piling in my database?

Thanks in advance!
eGeMi

Re: Database size problem after purging tournament hands

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:27 am

How much free space do you have on your disk? To release freed disk space back to your hard drive from PostgreSQL you'd need to run a 'Vacuum Full' in 'Database -> Database Management -> Housekeeping' however if you do not have enough free space then that will not be able to complete successfully.
Flag_Hippo

Postby eGeMi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:05 pm

I am doing this regularly. On my previous windows installation I got the message that there is not enough space to do the vacuum. No such thing this time around. Every report or statistic loads super slow. My system is i5 - 8400 , 8 gb ram , 250 gb SSD with like 40-60 gigs free space.
eGeMi

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 am

Please restart PokerTracker 4 using the logging enabled link on your Windows Start Menu, reproduce this problem and then send your log file to is in a Support Ticket so we can see what's happening here. You can access the 'Logs' folder with the log file by clicking 'File --> Show User Data Folder' in the main PokerTracker 4 window and the file we need is the text file called 'PokerTracker4' or 'PokerTracker4.log' that is in that folder.
Flag_Hippo

Postby eGeMi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 am

Hi again, I will reinstall windows soon, so it will be a good point for me to start a new database. For me the options of not using imported hands from other users is not an option, since I know it is possible. Could the problem be that TOURNMENT informations is a very big part of my database? I really don't need to know which place and how much money are earned by other players. I just wont their on table stats for my hud. Is there a way to import that information only?
eGeMi

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Most MTT's are full ring so for each hand imported there a 9-10 players which takes up more space in the database when compared to 6max cash games or 3 handed spins. Furthermore we don't modify PokerTracker 4 in anyway to support datamining or offer any advice other than it could result in your poker site account being banned as it's against the terms of service of pretty much every site we support.
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4