Preflop 3bet and 4bet relative size stats bugged

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Preflop 3bet and 4bet relative size stats bugged

Postby Unguarded » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:46 am

So I have been running reports to try and get an idea of how various 3bet and 4bet sizes perform with different types of hands. One surprising thing that I noticed was that AA usually seemed to perform best when min-3bet. I eventually began to find other strange behavior.

Here is how to reproduce the bug:

Make a report. Select "Preflop 3bet Relative Size" from the "Available Stats" dropbox. In filters, select "Raised Preflop Any 3bet", "Faced All-In Preflop" and "Hands: AA" in any database of reasonable size. You will see that in the report, it lists "3bet < 2x Open" as the most common 3bet size. As far as I can tell, this is happening because it considers the first raiser's 4bet to be the "open size" instead of the original raiser's 2bet. Since the 4bet is obviously larger than the 3bet, it will always consider these spots to be in the "3bet < 2x Open" category even if the 3bet was actually 3x, 4x, or 5x the size of the 2bet.

But it gets weirder... now add "3Bet Size Multiple of the 3Bet Between 2.50 and 4" to the filters we already have. In the report, it will still list almost all (literally all?) of the 3bet sizes as "3Bet < 2x Open" even though this option has been filtered out. I suppose this could mean that the "3Bet Size Multiple of the 3Bet Between 2.50 and 4" filter is working correctly, but the "Preflop 3bet Relative Size" stat in the report is not working correctly.

I believe this problem affects the "Preflop 4bet+ Relative Size" stat as well.

This is a potentially very powerful feature in PT4 that I have been using for many hours, but only now did I notice that this these "relative size" stats being broken has been leading me to false conclusions. This obviously will affect all hands... not just AA. I was just using AA as an easy way to reproduce the bug and share my understanding of what may be going wrong (comparing the 3bet to the first raiser's 4bet rather than his 2bet).

Thanks for any help, and my apologies if I am messing something up myself... but I don't think I am.
Unguarded

Re: Preflop 3bet and 4bet relative size stats bugged

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks for the report. Looking at the expression for the 'Preflop 3Bet Relative Size' stat it uses amt_p_raise_facing to compare to the size of the 2Bet however that will be the size of the last raise faced which will not necessarily be the 2Bet and would be why you are seeing this problem in 4Bet pots. I will feedback to the development team about this issue however in the meantime I've created a custom stat which compares the size of the 3Bet to the size of the 2Bet which you can try:

Preflop 3Bet Relative Size (Copy).zip
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Flag_Hippo

Re: Preflop 3bet and 4bet relative size stats bugged

Postby Unguarded » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:00 am

Thank you, Flag_Hippo! I will give your custom stat a try. Also, please be sure to check and see if the expression for the "Preflop 4bet+ Relative Size" stat has the same issue. I believe it does.

Edit: My early fun with your new custom stats leads me to believe that it is working correctly. Shockingly (not), my reports now indicate that min-3betting AA is about as bad as we would have thought lol.
Unguarded

Return to PokerTracker 4