Database Housekeeping (explain the options)

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Database Housekeeping (explain the options)

Postby GroovyShark » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:42 am

Hello,
I'm sorry in advance if this question been asked already, but I failed to find any information about.

Could you please explain me what each of Housekeeping options actually do and how often I should run it in order to keep my DB working well and fast?

I mean: Vacuum & Analyze, Reindex, Cluster, Vacuum Full & Tune PostgreSQL options.

Also I want to know what does Rebuild Cache? Does it all those options I listed above altogether or does totally different thing?

Thanks in advance for any help!
GroovyShark

Re: Database Housekeeping (explain the options)

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:01 am

PokerTracker 4 performs maintenance when you import hands manually and automatically so there is no need to do any of those things unless you have been instructed to do so by support or if you have a specific reason to do so. The database cache is used for quick generation of HUD and report stats so if you have added custom statistics to your database you should rebuild your custom cache but a full cache rebuild is not something you need to do with PokerTracker 4 except when there is a specific problem.

Reindexing is mostly used to resolve specific database problems where the cause is known and what that does is bascially recreates the database and deletes the original. Cluster reorganizes the data within database files and vacuuming reclaims empty space in the database e.g. after purging hands (PokerTracker 4 offers to runs this automatically after purging). See this guide for more information on tuning.
Flag_Hippo

Postby GroovyShark » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:02 am

Flag_Hippo, thank you for explaining!

But I still have one question, please.
Although you wrote:
PokerTracker 4 performs maintenance when you import hands manually and automatically so there is no need to do any of those things unless you have been instructed to do so by support or if you have a specific reason to do so.[...]

Actually I realized that after like a week of intense playing my PT4 software starts to work quite slower, than before. Especially loading "View stats" Tab.

Then once I've heard from one Video about PT4 on Youtube, that running database maintenance manually, options like Cluster, Reindexing and all stuff can help make PT4 running faster.

And I have noticed, that it's really loading faster after I did that, but I wasn't sure which option of those 5 helping it, as I run all of them one-by-one on weekly basis.
GroovyShark

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:24 am

If you want to perform additional maintenance then you can run reindex, cluster & vacuum/analyze (in that order).
Flag_Hippo

Postby GroovyShark » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:33 am

Alright, I got it, thank you again for help, Flag_Hippo!
GroovyShark

Return to PokerTracker 4