Postgre and Dropbox

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Postgre and Dropbox

Postby markkeane » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:38 pm

Excuse my ignorance, if data is stored in the server why do we need dropbox to manage PT4 across two computers?

I change between laptop and desktop regularly and it feels like with the system structure that whole syncing process and using dropbox is a bit inefficient. The whole managing duplicates and moving files around/emptying them concerns me, fiddling constantly with files feels like a recipe to make a mistake and lose everything.

Cant the whole thing sit in the cloud and require no processes to sync when changing device.
markkeane

Re: Postgre and Dropbox

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:18 am

The PostgreSQL server is local to the computer it is installed on - it is not stored anywhere else such as the 'cloud'. If you want to share a single PostgreSQL database between two machines you can do so over a local network:

Guide: PostgreSQL Server Hosted on a Local Network
Flag_Hippo

Postby markkeane » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:36 am

thanks flaghippo. My tech knowledge is limited, so I dislike getting into opening terminal etc. Will avoid the local network option given it isn't supported and as one computer is windows and the other MAC it is a recipe for complications. From a front end point of view, is there a reason it is so difficult to have everything a bit more seamless? Like when someone works on an excel or email on their phone, and its all syncing in the background with their computer at home, without manual intervention?
markkeane

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:01 pm

A PostgreSQL database is more complex than a single spreadsheet or email and is considerably larger. While in use PostgreSQL updates its database files a lot and every single update would trigger a Dropbox change and this may affect performance and it would be very susceptible to database corruption.
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4