Postgres install error

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Postgres install error

Postby jdmaed191 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Pokertracker was not able to install Postgres automatically, so I followed instructions in https://www.pokertracker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=99844 to manually install postgres v. 9.6.20. I'm getting an error saying "An error occurred installing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer." Help?
jdmaed191

Re: Postgres install error

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:11 am

Move the PostgreSQL installer directly here (make sure it is the x64 version):

C:\

Click your Windows start button, type 'cmd' and when it appears right-mouse-button on 'Command Prompt' then select 'Run as administrator'.

If the command prompt is not on the root of C:\ then enter:

Code: Select all
cd\

When the command prompt is on C:\> run the following command:

Code: Select all
postgresql-9.6.20-1-windows-x64.exe --install_runtimes 0

That should start the PostgreSQL installer and see if that works for you now.
Flag_Hippo

Postby jdmaed191 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:58 pm

That worked to get Postgres installed. Now I have a problem opening Pokertracker. I have a popup titled "configure PostgreSQL server" with the following settings:

server: localhost
Port: 5432
Database User: Postgres
Password: dbpass (matches what I put in for Postgres install).

When I hit the "Connect" button, I get a spinning blue wheel for a while. Then I get a Pokertracker message that says: "Unable to connect to this database. Please check the configuration."
jdmaed191

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:58 pm

This might only be because a database PokerTracker 4 thinks is there no longer is so try clicking through messages like that to see if "New" will create a database and allow PokerTracker 4 to stay open. If not did the installer confirm that PostgreSQL installed successfully or was there an error message of any kind? Click your Windows Start button then type the following command:

services.msc 

and click on it when it appears. Do you see the PostgreSQL service in the list? Is it started, or can you start it? If the PostgreSQL service is listed but not starting then open the Event Viewer (in the same way - if you type 'event' you should see it). In the top left section, expand "Windows Logs" and click on "Application". Do you see any recent errors in the top center section for PostgreSQL? If you do let us know what they say.
Flag_Hippo

Postby jdmaed191 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Flag_Hippo wrote:This might only be because a database PokerTracker 4 thinks is there no longer is so try clicking through messages like that to see if "New" will create a database and allow PokerTracker 4 to stay open. If not did the installer confirm that PostgreSQL installed successfully or was there an error message of any kind? Click your Windows Start button then type the following command:

services.msc 

and click on it when it appears. Do you see the PostgreSQL service in the list? Is it started, or can you start it? If the PostgreSQL service is listed but not starting then open the Event Viewer (in the same way - if you type 'event' you should see it). In the top left section, expand "Windows Logs" and click on "Application". Do you see any recent errors in the top center section for PostgreSQL? If you do let us know what they say.

I don't see PostgreSQL in the services list.
jdmaed191

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:42 am

That means the PostgreSQL install did not complete successfully. There should be a log of the last install attempt so please send that file to us in a Support Ticket:

C:\Users\{Windows Login}\AppData\Local\Temp\install-postgresql.log

If you do not see the AppData folder in Windows File Explorer then see this guide.
Flag_Hippo

Postby bjonesin24 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:26 pm

solved for me
bjonesin24

Return to PokerTracker 4