Comment on Stat Categorization

Let us know what features not currently in the PT4 should be added.

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Comment on Stat Categorization

Postby oracle3001 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:54 am

One thing I would say is that I think you guys want might want to have a bit more of a think about how you categorize stats for users to choose from.

I love the search feature, but I am finding that if I want to pick from the list, say preflop 3-bet, I click preflop and there is still a huge overwhelming list of stats. I think I would prefer to see something along the lines of then sub categories for single raise, 3-bet, 4-bet etc.
oracle3001

Re: Comment on Stat Categorization

Postby kraada » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:04 am

The problem then gets into overlapping.

In most all windows now you should be able to search using our search bar - if you type 3b there you'll quickly see 3bet related stats.
kraada

Postby oracle3001 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 am

But that is assuming the user knows what the name of the stat they are looking for. That is fine for the advanced user, but I can just foresee that you will be answering tonnes of forum questions about where is x or y stat. Your competition had poorly categorized stats and that is exactly what happened, confusion over where stats where and what they actually did.
oracle3001

Postby kraada » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:29 am

We did our best to name stats in a way that would make it very easy and intuitive to find them. Was there a particular stat you had trouble searching for?
kraada

Postby oracle3001 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:48 am

I am still working through setting things up, so a bit early to say. However, as I said in previous post it seemed a fairly large problem for your competition. When faced with these large lists of stats people were missing ones they wanted, misunderstanding what they actually meant etc. And I wouldn't say they have particularly poorly named.

One thing that definitely stood out with your competition and I notice you are using similar notation was for instance IP vs OOP. People got extremely confused for instance does Fold to 3bet after raise IP mean the 3Better was IP or was the indvidual facing the 3bet who folds IP on the 3better?

Another good example I remember from competition was questions like how is RFI from BTN different to Attempt to Steal from BTN. I am simply saying that people get overwhelmed and confused by this stuff.
Last edited by oracle3001 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
oracle3001

Postby kraada » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 am

With that particular stat it's when you are in position on the 3Bettor.

We've included detailed descriptions in the Configure Statistics window which will hopefully alleviate some of these problems. For example, the detailed description for that stat reads:

Percentage of the time that a player folded to a preflop 3Bet, given that he had previously opened the action and was in position on the person who made the 3Bet.

Formula: Number of Times Player Folded to a 3Bet Preflop After Open Raising When In Position on 3Bettor / Number of Times Player Could Fold to a 3Bet Preflop After Open Raising When In Position on 3Bettor
kraada

Postby oracle3001 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:59 am

Yes, I saw that. I was rather pointing out the sort of things I can imagine people are going to start posting like crazy about when trying to build their HUD's, which I think will be further complicated when people are presented by very long lists of stats.

Just an observation of what happened with the competition a few weeks back. Given I am not a novice, I still had to go digging around a bit more than I would have liked to find stats that I knew must exist (in fact even I posted I wasn't sure about fold to 3bet specific definition, before I found the descriptions). I would imagine those less knowledgeable will have a harder time.
oracle3001

Postby kraada » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:04 pm

I understand - there is definitely a trade-off with categories. If we start breaking things down too far then it's a lot of clicking to get to a stat, and potentially confusing as well. We opted for a simplified approach when it came to categorizing so that everyone can understand quickly what stats should be in the categories, and they can further refine things.

One thing which may not have been clear - you can search and use categories both. For example, if you type "3" in the search box and expand "Preflop" you'll see all and only preflop stats with the number "3" in them.

The idea was to create a synergy between the two. Please do give it a try and let us know what you think.
kraada

Return to PT4 Feature Requests