power operator not working?

Discuss how to create custom stats, reports and HUD profiles and share your creations.

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

power operator not working?

Postby erdnase17 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:11 pm

I am trying to input the following expression but it does not seem to accept the power operator with this expression:

((2*(min(live_amt_stack,2*live_amt_avg_stack-live_amt_stack) / live_amt_bb) + live_amt_bb*4) / (live_amt_bb*4)) ^ (1/3)

Any workaround?

Thanks.
erdnase17

Re: power operator not working?

Postby kraada » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:44 pm

That operator works but only for whole number powers I believe. Can you explain a bit more why you're taking the cube root of that expression? That might help me find a better way to help you do what you want.
kraada

Postby erdnase17 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:52 pm

I want to apply a formula for the geometric betting of the pot which is based on the effective stack size and pot size on the flop.
I am trying it assuming the pot will be 4bb on the flop which is a fairly common situation in the games I play.
The formula is this for 3 streets of betting:
([((pot+2*eff)/pot)^(1/3)]-1)/2

So I tried to translate the formula as:
((((2*(min(live_amt_stack,2*live_amt_avg_stack-live_amt_stack) / live_amt_bb) + live_amt_bb*4)/(live_amt_bb*4))^(1/3))-1)/2

but I got stuck with the power operator.
erdnase17

Postby kraada » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Interesting - I don't see another way to do that. I'll make a note to look into what we'd need to do to get ^ working to give you cube roots, but it may be a while - with the commercial release of PT4 happening tomorrow, there are other higher priorities right now.
kraada

Postby erdnase17 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:29 pm

kraada wrote:Interesting - I don't see another way to do that. I'll make a note to look into what we'd need to do to get ^ working to give you cube roots, but it may be a while - with the commercial release of PT4 happening tomorrow, there are other higher priorities right now.

A possible workaround is to use a formula to approximate the cube root.
Is there anyway to use assignment in the Expression language?
x = a+b
y = x+c etc.
erdnase17

Postby kraada » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 pm

No, unfortunately that isn't possible. Everything there gets chunked into the where clause of a PostgreSQL query and there's no such function that will do what you want that I'm aware of.
kraada

Return to Custom Stats, Reports and HUD Profiles