attempt to steal: all in vs min raise stat

Discuss how to create custom stats, reports and HUD profiles and share your creations.

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

attempt to steal: all in vs min raise stat

Postby phoenixx420 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:00 am

hi there. i've been running into a situation recently in tournaments where i wish i had more information. it is as follows:

the mid to later stages of the tournament where effective stack sizes are between 10-15bb. i'm in the bb and the action folds around to the sb, who min raises me. i look at my hud, where i have sb attempt to steal stat displayed, but don't know how to interpret the stat. does this stat include min raises as attempts to steal, or does it only count all ins? if it counts both, i would really like a way to parse these two pieces of data. any suggestions?

thanks!
phoenixx420

Re: attempt to steal: all in vs min raise stat

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:03 pm

The stat "Att to Steal" includes all open-raises by the cutoff, button or small blind, regardless of size.

To separate out min raises or all-ins you'd need to make a custom stat.
There are a few threads about making stats based on raise sizes - check out this thread and this one for example.

Review the Custom Statistics Guide to get started.

This guide was written for PT3 but the same principals apply:
Tutorial: Custom Reports and Statistics
WhiteRider

Postby phoenixx420 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:25 pm

hey, thanks for guiding me in the right direction. from reading the earlier posts, it looks like i would need to use a column reading:
sum(if[tourney_hand_player_statistics.flg_steal_att and ((tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_p_raise_made)/(tourney_blinds.amt_bb))<= 2.5, 1, 0])

and then a denominating column of:
cnt_steal_opp

this would give me the percentage of steal opportunities that the opponent attempted to steal the blinds using a raise size of greater than or equal to 2.5bb, correct?

the place i'm running into trouble is figuring out how to get position into the statistic. i would like to make two stats; one which counts steal opportunities from the button, and one which counts them from the sb. should the position code be a part of the column:
sum(if[tourney_hand_player_statistics.flg_steal_att and ((tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_p_raise_made)/(tourney_blinds.amt_bb))<= 2.5, 1, 0])

if so, how do you incorporate it?

thanks a lot!
phoenixx420

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:51 am

phoenixx420 wrote:this would give me the percentage of steal opportunities that the opponent attempted to steal the blinds using a raise size of greater than or equal to 2.5bb, correct?

"Less than" or equal to 2.5bb, yes - you're correct.

the place i'm running into trouble is figuring out how to get position into the statistic. i would like to make two stats; one which counts steal opportunities from the button, and one which counts them from the sb. should the position code be a part of the column:

if so, how do you incorporate it?

You don't need to do this in your stat/columns, you can simply add the stat you built to the Hud and set the Position property to the position you want.

For reference, though, you can test for position with "tourney_hand_player_statistics.position = 0".
0 is the button, for example. The BB is position 8 and the SB is 9, then positions increase from the button - the cutoff is 1, etc.
WhiteRider

Postby phoenixx420 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:49 am

hey, thanks for your help. i've constructed the stat, but have run into another problem:

the stat is displaying on my hud with 6 decimal places. i can't understand why, as i have set decimal places to zero under "edit hud profiles>table groups>item properties."

thank you for the advice about filtering by position in the edit hud profiles tab. that's very useful, and saves the hassle of constructing separate stats for each position.

if i wanted to construct a stat that showed me the % of opportunities that a player went all in to steal the blinds, would the correct column format for the numerator be:

sum(if[tourney_hand_player_statistics.flg_steal_att and (tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_p_raise_made = all_in) ?

thanks!

josh
phoenixx420

Postby kraada » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:25 pm

Try setting decimal places to a positive nonzero number (1 or 2) and let me know if you see them then or not.

And for that column you'd want:
sum(if[tourney_hand_player_statistics.flg_steal_att and (tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_p_raise_made >= tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_p_effective_stack), 1, 0])
kraada

Postby phoenixx420 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:46 pm

hey, thanks again for the help.

i tried changing the decimal places displayed as you suggested, but no dice. when i look at the stat on the sample hud in the profile editor, it shows the correct number of decimals (i tried 0, 1 and 2). but when i click apply and open the hand replayer, it still shows six decimal places. my hud was already getting too big, and now its just ridiculous.

speaking of which, is there anyway to get the "hands" stat to display 2,500 hands as 2.5k instead?
phoenixx420

Postby WhiteRider » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:19 am

Make sure you set the formatting option in your stat to Number, then the Decimals property will control it properly.
If you still can't get it to work as you want please export your stat and attach it to a Support Ticket so that we can check it out for you.

phoenixx420 wrote:speaking of which, is there anyway to get the "hands" stat to display 2,500 hands as 2.5k instead?

You can use the built-in stat "Hands Abbreviated", which does exactly that.
WhiteRider

Postby phoenixx420 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:20 am

awesome... i got it working! thank you again on all counts!
phoenixx420

Postby phoenixx420 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:00 am

hi. after several years and some further thought, i'd like to try to take these stats a step further.

i want to make a stat that tells me the % of steal attempts for a given effective stack size. so for example, how often is a player going all in when the effective stack is 7-10 bb, ect. i tried to make one, but i'm not sure it's giving me the information i want. does this look right?

numerator:
sum(if[tourney_hand_player_statistics.flg_steal_att and ((tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_p_effective_stack)/(tourney_blinds.amt_bb) between 7 and 10.99) and (tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_p_raise_made >= tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_p_effective_stack), 1, 0])

denominator:
sum(if[tourney_hand_player_statistics.flg_steal_opp and (tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_p_effective_stack / tourney_blinds.amt_bb) between 7 and 10.99, 1, 0])

(numerator / denominator) * 100

also, i have a minor annoyance going on with my hud. i've got the custom steal stats i made from earlier in there. i have the same stat on my hud twice. once it's filtered for the btn and once for the sb. when i hover the mouse over one of the stats, it tells me what it is. but, when i hover it over the other, all it says is (BTN). i've got a lot of different numbers in my hud, so it would be nice if i could straighten that out. any idea what's causing this?
phoenixx420

Next

Return to Custom Stats, Reports and HUD Profiles