Custom Stat for Average Profit in Tourneys

Discuss how to create custom stats, reports and HUD profiles and share your creations.

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Custom Stat for Average Profit in Tourneys

Postby Astron8 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:16 pm

I would like a custom stat for the average profit, per wining pot, in Big Blinds, for tournament play. I already have a stat for average winning pot size, but I like to know how much of this is profit.
Astron8

Re: Custom Stat for Average Profit in Tourneys

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Is this custom stat your average pot size for hands you win or for every hand? If that's for your own winning hands and it's already in BB's then you can take your existing custom statistic and substract your starting stack (tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_before) from the pot size to give you the profit but if you want that for the pool then this would require a subquery.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Astron8 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:28 pm

I already have the average pot size for all tournament hands in my database, which are hands that i was dealt-in, but not necessarily involved in the whole way. I am interested in the average profit made in every pot, not just the ones I won.

The average pot is amt_pot_bb /cnt_hands. But this is not the average profit for these pots. It seems we would need something like If (amt won >0), then sum(amt won), but in correct terminology. Then divide by size of BB for each pot, then divide by the number of hands.
Astron8

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:47 pm

For that you can use amt_bb_won / cnt_hands. The amt_bb_won will vary for each player in each individual hand so to view the average for winner of those hands only you can create a custom 'All Players Report' and then add a simple filter for winning the hand.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Astron8 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:04 pm

There seems to be a problem using this method. I created a new stat I called Avg Won = amt_bb_won / cnt-hands, as you suggest.

If I filter for MTT, Blinds = 10/20, not including Split pots, I find the Average Pot = 41.0 BBs for all players. If I add the filter "Player Won Hand", the Average Pot stays nearly the same and my "Avg Won" stat = 23.4 BB, or 57% of the average pot. This seems reasonable to me.

But now I want to find these values for a raised pot, so I add the filter "Raised Prefop Any 2Bet" to my initial filter and get Avg Pot = 55.4 BBs, which is reasonable since I expect pots to be bigger when raised preflop. (Though not necessarily, since some hands will end preflop.)

But when I then add the "Player Won Hand" to the filter, the results don't make sense. The Avg pot now drops from 55.4 BB to only 39.0 BB and the Avg Won = 22.3 BB. The avg pot should be the same whether I filter for "Player Won Hand" or not. (This was true without the 2Bet filter.) If I divide the 22.3 BB by 39.0 BB, the profit is about 57%, but when I divide the 22.3 BB by the 55.4 BB value, the profit is only 40%, which is not possible. What is going on when I use these filters?

Can you recommend a stat that gives me the global profit without using a filter?
Astron8

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:17 am

Astron8 wrote:There seems to be a problem using this method.

You are probably seeing different values for the average pot because of the reasons I mentioned to you in this thread but the value will be correct when you add a filter for winning the hand because the pot size is now only being summed from that players perspective and not every player dealt into the hand (which distorts the value because of weighted averages since the number of players dealt into a hand won't always be the same).
Astron8 wrote:Can you recommend a stat that gives me the global profit without using a filter?

That would require a custom statistic with a subquery to extract the amount won only from the player who won the hand - for more on how SELECT works see this guide however even if you built that statistic when you use it in 'All Players Report' the average would be calculated in the same way as the average pot so it still wouldn't work unless you were viewing it in a 'Player Report' or from a single players perspective in an 'All Players Report'.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Astron8 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:08 am

I created a custom stat for Average Profit using IF, which agrees with the amount listed when filtering.

Avg Profit = amt_won_total /amt_hands_won, where both of these are new columns.

amt_won_total = sum(if[tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_won > 0,tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_won / tourney_blinds.amt_bb,0])
amt_hands_won = sum(if[tourney_hand_player_statistics.amt_won > 0,1,0])

This allows me to get my information with fewer filters. When adding the "Player Won Pot" filter, I appear to get the right answers. ( Also filter out hands that are chopped, since this can distort the final result.)
Astron8

Return to Custom Stats, Reports and HUD Profiles