How do I make the HUD update faster?

Discuss how to create custom stats, reports and HUD profiles and share your creations.

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

How do I make the HUD update faster?

Postby rovanuzo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:14 am

In early December, I reinstalled PostgreSQL. Removed version 9.3, installed 9.6. Reduced the base by about 55%. And now, for some reason, the "vs Hero" stats in HUD appear with a delay of 6-7 hands. Although in the full database and version 9.3 of PostgreSQL, the HUD was updated without delay. The computer is strong, 32GB RAM, 8 cores, I do regular maintenance of the database. Tell me how to set up the database so that the HUD at the tables is updated quickly? Can you recommend some settings for PostgreSQL that will significantly speed up the process?
rovanuzo

Re: How do I make the HUD update faster?

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:22 pm

If those statistics do not use the database cache then they would have to be calculated on demand each time the HUD updates but if your original PostgreSQL was tuned you could try and replicate those settings in the new PostgreSQL provided you haven't deleted the original PostgreSQL data folder:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\postgresql.conf

Any tuning changes in that PostgreSQL performed by PokerTracker 4 would be commented. Before making any changes to the 9.6 version make a copy of the original in case you need to revert and after making any changes you will need to restart your computer or the PostgreSQL service for those to take affect.
Flag_Hippo

Postby rovanuzo » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:23 am

Unfortunately, I very efficiently deleted PostgreSQL version 9.3, leaving nothing even in the registry. And I now need to speed up the HUD somehow. Please tell me how, if you know.
rovanuzo

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:24 am

Are your custom 'vs Hero' statistics using the database cache? If those statistics do not use the database cache then they would have to be calculated on demand each time the HUD updates. Was there a specific reason for changing PostgreSQL versions? If everything was working OK before I'd suggest reverting back to PostgreSQL v9.3 and have PokerTracker 4 tune that PostgreSQL since that isn't currently supported with v9.6. Also please note you should not backup a database in v9.6 and restore it in v9.3 so if you have a backup file from the original v9.3 you should use that.
Flag_Hippo

Postby rovanuzo » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:42 am

My custom "vs Hero" stats basically can't use cached stats. The reason for switching to PostgreSQL version v9. 6 was an attempt to solve my question (ticket #530696). Your recommendations on it didn't help me in any way. As a result, it turned out that the presence of one of the stats does not allow all popups to open. This stat has been removed, but now slows down the entire HUD. When I open the Replayer, the uncached stats are only rendered after about 45 seconds. In the summer, with a base of 11GB (when there was a problem with popups), all stats were drawn earlier than 10sec. I solved the problem with popups, reduced the base almost twice and uncached stats began to be drawn for a very long time.
On your recommendation, I demolished the PostgreSQL version v9. 6 and returned v9.3. No positive changes have occurred. What should I do? I tried to create a new database with 3K hands. In it, all stats are rendered instantly. But this database is only 35MB, and my working 6418MB. Can you tell me some settings for PostgreSQL that will speed up its work?
rovanuzo

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:12 am

Unfortunately I don't have a specific setting for you to use but if you have reinstalled PostgreSQL v9.3 then try tuning it via the 'Housekeeping' button in the Database Management window and that might help. At this time automatic tuning isn't available when using later versions of PostgreSQL.
Flag_Hippo

Postby mooooNy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:07 pm

Heres some advanced Methods and "Tuning" Ideas for your database: https://severalnines.com/database-blog/setting-optimal-environment-postgresql
mooooNy

Return to Custom Stats, Reports and HUD Profiles