Unable to connect to this database

A special forum dedicated to our PT4 for Mac OS X users

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Unable to connect to this database

Postby somnumna » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:37 pm

All of sudden when i open pt4 i get a box with unable to connect to this database please check configuration. I click ok and then get a box headed configure postgreSQL server I click connect and nothing. What do I need to do? Im on a mac and have been using pt4 for about a year so don't understand why this would all of a sudden happen
somnumna

Re: Unable to connect to this database

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:53 pm

That error means PostgreSQL (the program where PokerTracker 4 stores your poker data) isn't running. Have you done something recently to PostgreSQL like maybe deleting the "postgres" user from your Mac login screen? Has your computer shut down unexpectedly recently? Do you see PostgreSQL in your Applications folder? Please do this:

1.  Confirm where your PostgreSQL is, probably here: 

/Library/PostgreSQL/x.y

"x.y" will be two numbers such as "8.4", "9.0", etc.

2.  Open a terminal, probably in "Utilities".  In the terminal window copy/paste this:

sudo rm /Library/PostgreSQL/x.y/data/postmaster.pid

Substitute the "x.y" in that command with the numbers you noted in #1.

You want to delete "postmaster.pid" so answer "y" if the command finds it.

3.  Next restart your computer and press/hold the "Alt/Option" key while starting PokerTracker 4 to enable logging. 

4. If PokerTracker 4 still doesn't start please attach these files to a Support Ticket:

--> /Users/{Mac Login}/Library/Application Support/PokerTracker 4/PokerTracker4.log

--> Your newest 3 or 4 PostgreSQL log files (look for "Mac" in the guide): Guide: PostgreSQL log files
Flag_Hippo

Postby somnumna » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:11 am

When i copy and paste stage 2 in a terminal and press enter it brings up ' Password : and a key symbol'. How do I proceed from there?
somnumna

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:51 am

That's a prompt to enter your Mac administrator password (for security purposes it may not show anything as you type it in).
Flag_Hippo

Return to PT4 for macOS