Mac - PostgreSQL problems

A special forum dedicated to our PT4 for Mac OS X users

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Mac - PostgreSQL problems

Postby hilss » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:46 pm

I got a new mac, and used the time machine to migrate my data. When I started PT4, I got the following problems. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and still getting the same problems.
When I first launched it, I got this Security Permissions Issue (Screen Recording Permissions) message.
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.28.28 AM.png

If I click the Open Security Requirements --> Privacy --> Screen Recording, I don't see PT4 as an option (not sure how to add it).

Then I get the error message: "Unable to login to database (postgres). Reason: could not connect to serverL No such file or directory Is the server running locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket "/temp/.s.PGSQ.5432"?
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.28.45 AM.png

If click on "Configure Defaults", I get the following window:
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.28.55 AM.png

If I click on "Connect", I get the following message: "Unable to connect to this database. Please check the configuration"

Once I hit ok, I get the following: "Are you sure you want to cancel? PokerTracker won't be able to operate without PostgreSQL installed and configured."

If I hit "yes", PT4 shuts down, if I hit "no", I get: "PokerTracker will have problems creating and restoring databases with incorrect default database parameters. Would you like to proceed anyway?"

Then it tells me that it's having errors connect tot he default DB.

Bottom line is that I have all my raw text files for all my hand histories (Bovada player). I can easily upload them. I just need PT4 to work with a clean DB. Can you help?

thanks.
hilss

Re: Mac - PostgreSQL problems

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:38 am

hilss wrote:I got a new mac, and used the time machine to migrate my data.

Unfortunately Time Machine is not sophisticated enough to reload/transfer a PostgreSQL installation.
hilss wrote:If I click the Open Security Requirements --> Privacy --> Screen Recording, I don't see PT4 as an option (not sure how to add it).

Since you've used time machine PokerTracker 4 is likely going to have configurations based on the previous computer including where screen recording was permitted. You can open the '/Users/{Mac Login}/Library/Application Support/PokerTracker 4//Config/Pokertracker.cfg' file with TextEdit and there should be a line like this:

RequestedPermissions=Y

change that to:

RequestedPermissions=N

Save the change and restart PokerTracker 4. Also the PokerTracker.cfg file shouldn't really be transferred between different computers so I'd recommend renaming it or deleting it so PokerTracker 4 creates a new default one.
hilss wrote:Then I get the error message: "Unable to login to database (postgres). Reason: could not connect to serverL No such file or directory Is the server running locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket "/temp/.s.PGSQ.5432"?

As I mentioned above Time Machine isn't going to transfer PostgreSQL successfully so download and install PostgreSQL v9.6 from here. Using a Mac administrator account or administrative privileges install that PostgreSQL and for the password boxes use "dbpass" (no quotes) which is what PokerTracker 4 uses by default. Once PostgreSQL installs successfully reboot your computer and then try starting PokerTracker 4 again. If that doesn't work follow this tutorial before running the PostgreSQL installer again.
Flag_Hippo

Postby hilss » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:39 pm

thank you so much. that worked. :D
hilss

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:58 am

Pleased to hear it :)
Flag_Hippo

Return to PT4 for macOS