problem with PT4 on Mac M1

A special forum dedicated to our PT4 for Mac OS X users

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

problem with PT4 on Mac M1

Postby Stef33 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:09 am

Hello, encounter un pb with PT4 on my new Mac M1. I attache the message of PT4.
Anyone encountered same pb ?
Or have solution ?

Thanks for any answer
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2020-12-08 à 19.14.01.png
Unable to connect on old database or to create a new one
Stef33

Re: problem with PT4 on Mac M1

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:20 am

A technician will be replying to you in your existing support ticket.
Flag_Hippo

Postby BlackRain79 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 pm

I am having the same error message on my Mac M1. Was there ever a fix for this?
BlackRain79

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:50 am

There could be many reasons why PostgreSQL (the program where PokerTracker 4 stores your poker data) isn't running. Is this a new install or was everything working correctly until now?

If this is a new install did PokerTracker 4 ask if it could install PostgreSQL for you? If so did you notice if the PostgreSQL install completed successfully?

If this is an existing install have you made any changes recently? Have you done something recently to PostgreSQL such as trying to partially uninstall it, changing permissions on any of its folders, shutting down your computer unexpectedly while the database was in use, or maybe deleting the "postgres" user from your Mac login screen? Do you see PostgreSQL in your Applications folder?

Or maybe you have transferred data from another machine using 'Time Machine' or another cloning tool?

If nothing has changed and everything was OK the previous time you started PokerTracker 4 then try this:

1.  Confirm where your PostgreSQL is, probably here: 

/Library/PostgreSQL/x.y

"x.y" will be two numbers such as "8.4", "9.0", etc.

2.  Open a terminal, probably in "Utilities".  In the terminal window copy/paste this:

sudo rm /Library/PostgreSQL/x.y/data/postmaster.pid

Substitute the "x.y" in that command with the numbers you noted in #1.

You want to delete "postmaster.pid" so answer "y" if the command finds it.

3.  Next reboot, press/hold the "Alt/Option" key while starting PokerTracker 4 and click through any messages.  Only start PokerTracker 4 once even if nothing appears.  

If PokerTracker 4 starts you should be fine otherwise attach these files to a Support Ticket along with any relevant answers to the questions I asked above:

--> /Users/{Mac Login}/Library/Application Support/PokerTracker 4/Logs/PokerTracker4.log

--> The newest 3 or 4 PostgreSQL log files (look for "Mac" in the guide):

Guide: PostgreSQL log files
Flag_Hippo

Postby phi7766 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:23 pm

I have a similar problem...

* New Apple Mac M1
* transferred from old Mac using TimeMachine backup - did not transfer applications, but did transfer system files
* The PokerTracker installer doesn't ask to install the database
* When I launch PokerTracker 4 I get the pop up window "Configure PostgreSQL Server"
* When I click cancel, I get the message "PokerTracker cannot operate without PostgreSQL"
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 12.21.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 12.20.54 PM.png
phi7766

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:22 am

Unfortunately Time Machine is not capable of transferring a PostgreSQL installation successfully from one Mac to another. You can download PostgreSQL v10 from here and then using a Mac administrator account or administrative privileges install that PostgreSQL and for the password boxes use "dbpass" (no quotes) which is what PokerTracker 4 uses by default. Once PostgreSQL installs successfully restart your computer and then try PokerTracker 4 again. When that is done if you still have the old Mac you can transfer your poker data using backup & restore:

Guide: Backup & Restore
Flag_Hippo

Return to PT4 for macOS