Badges/notes randomly disappearing and reappearing

NoteCaddy for PokerTracker 4. Information is power!

Moderators: Flag_Hippo, Moderators, NoteCaddy Moderators

Badges/notes randomly disappearing and reappearing

Postby rdynor » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:22 pm

I installed NoteCaddy a few days ago, and have been running into a few issues.

1. The biggest problem is that some automatic badges and notes/graphs seem to randomly disappear, and then reappear some time later. For example, one player would go from having 5 badges, to one badge, and then back to 5 badges. A group would go from having a bunch of notes to being completely blank, and then coming back with the original notes. It seems like NC is trying to display the image, but it either can't find the image or tries to display a non-existing image. My system has plenty of available RAM, and I have the RAM drive option enabled, so it should not be a performance issue.

2. New badges sometimes don't show up until several hands after the note was created. This is possibly related to the first issue. NC processes new hands and reports that it is finished creating new notes within seconds of import, so again, I don't believe that this is performance related.

3. At times, NC gets stuck at processing hands (particularly when I am importing a backlog of tournaments) and never reaches the "finished" stage. It stops creating notes on new hands, and is not using any CPU time. If I click "Stop", it hangs at "Stopping" and never finishes. The only way to reset is to close PT4 and begin importing again.

4. Popups are going off the edge of the screen when the table is on the bottom right corner of the screen.

5. I have hands in my database that don't go to showdown but villain shows the winning hand. NC does not seem to be using this information for the hand range in notes and graphs. Is it the "Player Had To Show Down" checkbox that is causing this behavior? If so, do I need to go into every definition and turn this off, or is there another way to force NC to use known hole card information in non-showdown hands?
rdynor

Re: Badges/notes randomly disappearing and reappearing

Postby nostrakhan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:20 am

Hi rdynor,

1. The biggest problem is that some automatic badges and notes/graphs seem to randomly disappear, and then reappear some time later. For example, one player would go from having 5 badges, to one badge, and then back to 5 badges. A group would go from having a bunch of notes to being completely blank, and then coming back with the original notes. It seems like NC is trying to display the image, but it either can't find the image or tries to display a non-existing image. My system has plenty of available RAM, and I have the RAM drive option enabled, so it should not be a performance issue.

It sounds like maybe the game sizes are changing, which would show different notes. By default NoteCaddy separates the notes based on these game sizes: HU, 3-6, 7+. So if you're at a table with 7 players, and then it goes to 6-handed, all of those notes from 7+ handed will not display anymore. This is a configurable setting in NoteCaddy → File → Settings → Partitions.

2. New badges sometimes don't show up until several hands after the note was created. This is possibly related to the first issue. NC processes new hands and reports that it is finished creating new notes within seconds of import, so again, I don't believe that this is performance related.

This is normal because NC stores the notes on cache for performance reasons. The cache rebuilds every few minutes, and that's when the notes will update. There is a setting in NoteCaddy → File → Settings → Data Settings 'Cached note timeout' which you can lower, and it should make your stats update faster I think (at the expense of more system resources being used).

3. At times, NC gets stuck at processing hands (particularly when I am importing a backlog of tournaments) and never reaches the "finished" stage. It stops creating notes on new hands, and is not using any CPU time. If I click "Stop", it hangs at "Stopping" and never finishes. The only way to reset is to close PT4 and begin importing again.

That is kind of strange. You may want to try creating a new database in PT4 and/or resetting your NC settings to see if the issue resolves itself:

*Resetting PT4 NC Settings Back To Factory Defaults*
1. Close PT4 and navigate to: C:\Users\[WindowsUsername]\AppData\Local\PokerTracker 4\Data\AppsData\Tm90ZUNhZGR5.
2. Make a backup of the .xml files (copy/move them somewhere else on your pc).
3. Delete the .xml files from the directory in step 1.
4. Restart PT4, go into NoteCaddy and adjust your settings as you prefer again (File → Settings).
5. If you use customized Color Definitions, then import the ColorDefinitions.xml that you backed up from step 2, into NoteCaddy → Tools → Import Color Definitions.
6. Reset and reprocess the notes (File → Reset Notes).

4. Popups are going off the edge of the screen when the table is on the bottom right corner of the screen.

What sort of popups are going off the screen? Are they things that are created by NoteCaddy? Or is it just a PT4 popup (in which case it should be mentioned in a different forum). If it's not too much trouble, can you please share a screenshot of this (if it relates to NC)?

5. I have hands in my database that don't go to showdown but villain shows the winning hand. NC does not seem to be using this information for the hand range in notes and graphs. Is it the "Player Had To Show Down" checkbox that is causing this behavior? If so, do I need to go into every definition and turn this off, or is there another way to force NC to use known hole card information in non-showdown hands?

If you open a note definition in NC and go to 'Pre Flop' → 'General', turn on the setting 'Allow non shown down hands to count for ranges'. You'll get prompted if you'd like to set this option for all note definitions. After you do it, you will want to reset your notes and reprocess them (File → Reset Notes).
nostrakhan

Postby rdynor » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:13 am

Hi nostrakhan,

Thank you so much for your reply.

nostrakhan wrote:It sounds like maybe the game sizes are changing, which would show different notes. By default NoteCaddy separates the notes based on these game sizes: HU, 3-6, 7+. So if you're at a table with 7 players, and then it goes to 6-handed, all of those notes from 7+ handed will not display anymore. This is a configurable setting in NoteCaddy → File → Settings → Partitions.

Ahh, this is probably the reason. Game sizes bounce between 6-7 frequently on this particular site, so I will change the partitions so that they don't change as much.

That is kind of strange. You may want to try creating a new database in PT4 and/or resetting your NC settings to see if the issue resolves itself:

1. Close PT4 and navigate to: C:\Users\[WindowsUsername]\AppData\Local\PokerTracker 4\Data\AppsData\Tm90ZUNhZGR5.
4. Restart PT4, go into NoteCaddy and adjust your settings as you prefer again (File → Settings).
5. If you use customized Color Definitions, then import the ColorDefinitions.xml that you backed up from step 2, into NoteCaddy → Tools → Import Color Definitions.

This is actually with a new database that has less than 10k hands, and I have not changed any NC settings. The problem seems to pop up when I import a bunch of completed tournaments, and then begin to import live hands. I have not run into the issue if I stop the import (and have PT4 move the processed files) before importing live hands. Are there any log files that would provide any clues?

What sort of popups are going off the screen? Are they things that are created by NoteCaddy? Or is it just a PT4 popup (in which case it should be mentioned in a different forum). If it's not too much trouble, can you please share a screenshot of this (if it relates to NC)?

It is the popups for the badges. I have NC.PlayerOverview, and a bunch of NC.OrderedBadge in my hud. When I click on the badges, the popups always show up below and to the right of the badge, regardless of screen position of the table. PT4 popups correctly adjust their position to stay within the screen. I will grab a screenshot during my next session.

Also, if an additional row of badges populates, my HUD positioning is pushed upward, as if the origin is on the bottom. Is this a PT4 thing, or is this specific to NC badges?
rdynor

Postby rdynor » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:36 pm

Hi nostrakhan,

Here is a screenshot of the popup going off the edge of the screen. This happens inside the PT4 replayer as well. In case it is not clear from the screenshot, I clicked the "AA" badge. PT4's tooltip correctly re-positions when hovering over the badge, but the badge popup is off the edge of the screen. The Y position of the popup is adjusted up to a certain amount, but long popups still go below the bottom of the screen. The X position is not adjusted at all. If I place the same information inside a PT4 popup group, the position is always adjusted so that the entire content is visible on screen. It is only the standalone popups that have this issue.

https://i.imgur.com/KuIgXPy.jpg

While playing around with the badge popups some more, I discovered a couple of new issues:

1. The scatter graphs, heat maps and replay button of a badge popup are not clickable. Clicking anywhere simply closes the popup. If I put the same information inside a PT4 popup group, scatter graphs, heat maps and replay button are all clickable, and either expand the heat map, or open the specific hand in the replayer.
2. When hovering over the big scatter graph in the NC.PlayerOverview popup, the tooltip alternates from showing the hand information to being blank on every other hover. Clicking the data point in either scenario will still open the hand in the replayer.

https://i.imgur.com/Lt3dmy0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LGrh39n.jpg

What is this filterable scatter graph called? Is it possible to edit what data it shows and add it to other places on the HUD?

3. I enabled the "Allow non shown down hands to count for ranges" option as you suggested, and reset my notes. I have 9375 hands in my current database, and NC kept processing hands until around "Processing hand 65000 of 9375" for a total of around 2.5 million notes. Is this normal? The ratio between the number of hands that NC reports to the actual number of hands seems to be the same as the average number of hands dealt in each hand. Is NC creating a new instance of each hand for each player in the hand? If so, how will this affect performance as my database grows larger?

A lot more information from non-showdown hands is now in the notes compared to before, so this seemed to have added the information that I wanted. However, the majority (but not all) of the new data points in scatter graphs from non-showdown hands either don't show a tooltip when I hover over the point, or show a hand that is unrelated to the note. When I click on such a data point, it opens an unrelated hand in the replayer. The notes themselves, as well as the data points, seem to be accurate, as I can find a hand that matches the details of the note in my database, so it is just the link between the data point in the scatter graph and what hand it is referring to that seems to be broken. There are a few non-showdown hands that do show the correct hand on hover, and clicking the point opens up the correct hand in the replayer. Showdown hands don't appear to be affected at all.
rdynor

Postby nostrakhan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:05 am

Hi rdynor,

Here is a screenshot of the popup going off the edge of the screen. This happens inside the PT4 replayer as well. In case it is not clear from the screenshot, I clicked the "AA" badge. PT4's tooltip correctly re-positions when hovering over the badge, but the badge popup is off the edge of the screen. The Y position of the popup is adjusted up to a certain amount, but long popups still go below the bottom of the screen. The X position is not adjusted at all. If I place the same information inside a PT4 popup group, the position is always adjusted so that the entire content is visible on screen. It is only the standalone popups that have this issue.

https://i.imgur.com/KuIgXPy.jpg

This is strange to me, because no matter how hard I try, I can't get a badge popup to load offscreen. It does seem like for a split second it will go offscreen but it is automatically placed back into the screen very quickly for me.

What resolution does your monitor have? Do you have multiple displays? Did you ever modify any of your pokertracker config files?

While playing around with the badge popups some more, I discovered a couple of new issues:

1. The scatter graphs, heat maps and replay button of a badge popup are not clickable. Clicking anywhere simply closes the popup. If I put the same information inside a PT4 popup group, scatter graphs, heat maps and replay button are all clickable, and either expand the heat map, or open the specific hand in the replayer.
2. When hovering over the big scatter graph in the NC.PlayerOverview popup, the tooltip alternates from showing the hand information to being blank on every other hover. Clicking the data point in either scenario will still open the hand in the replayer.

https://i.imgur.com/Lt3dmy0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LGrh39n.jpg

I also was not able to reproduce this. When I open a badge popup I can hover over scatter points, or the replay button and it brings up more info. If I click on the replay button it opens the hand in the replayer.

Which version of PT4 are you using? If you are not on the latest version, please try to download and install it from here: https://www.pokertracker.com/products/PT4/download.php.

If you're already on the latest version, or updating didn't change anything, please try resetting your NC settings, as that often fixes strange issues like this:

What is this filterable scatter graph called? Is it possible to edit what data it shows and add it to other places on the HUD?

That would be the Main CaddyScatter. I don't think you can edit what data appears in the actual graph, but you can add it to other places. There is a stat named 'NC.ScatterOverview' that you can add to places.

3. I enabled the "Allow non shown down hands to count for ranges" option as you suggested, and reset my notes. I have 9375 hands in my current database, and NC kept processing hands until around "Processing hand 65000 of 9375" for a total of around 2.5 million notes. Is this normal? The ratio between the number of hands that NC reports to the actual number of hands seems to be the same as the average number of hands dealt in each hand. Is NC creating a new instance of each hand for each player in the hand? If so, how will this affect performance as my database grows larger?

That is definitely not normal. I think resetting your settings (as shown above) and/or creating a new database, and updating PT4 (if not already updated) should solve that issue though.

A lot more information from non-showdown hands is now in the notes compared to before, so this seemed to have added the information that I wanted. However, the majority (but not all) of the new data points in scatter graphs from non-showdown hands either don't show a tooltip when I hover over the point, or show a hand that is unrelated to the note. When I click on such a data point, it opens an unrelated hand in the replayer. The notes themselves, as well as the data points, seem to be accurate, as I can find a hand that matches the details of the note in my database, so it is just the link between the data point in the scatter graph and what hand it is referring to that seems to be broken. There are a few non-showdown hands that do show the correct hand on hover, and clicking the point opens up the correct hand in the replayer. Showdown hands don't appear to be affected at all.

Again it seems like maybe there is some sort of corruption going on, which will hopefully be solved with a reset of settings and/or new database, or updating PT4.
nostrakhan

Postby rdynor » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:43 am

Hi nostrakhan,

I am using the latest version of PT4 (v4.15.28), and as far as I know, I have not modified any of the config files.

You mentioned resolution, and this gave me a clue. I have one display at 3840x2160, but I have a custom scaling of 130%. It looks like NoteCaddy is not completely scaling aware. The Windows GDI API sees my screen resolution as 2949x1659, but NC uses the raw dimensions, causing the popups to go off the screen. If I reset scaling to 100%, popups are re-positioned correctly. This also fixes the problem with the scatter graphs and replay button not being clickable in the popups. (Heat map is still not clickable, even at 100%). Any non-100% scaling will cause this problem, even at the default increments (125%, 150%, 175%) that Windows officially supports. Hovering and clicking on the Main CaddyScatter works at any scaling level, as do any graphs inside a PT4 popup. Can you ask the development team to look into this in future updates?

The issue with the intermittent blank hover over the Main CaddyScatter still persists at 100% scaling. The target image is exists in the RAM drive, but NC alternates between showing it and not showing it every other hover. This behavior is only present in the Main CaddyScatter. Scatter graphs inside a PT4 popup will display the hand every time.

To fix the last issue with the incorrect/missing hands in the scatter graphs and replay button, I tried pretty much everything, including:
1. Creating a new database
2. Resetting NC settings, as you instructed
3. Resetting notes
4. Importing only one tournament
5. Only using one thread for processing to rule out race conditions from multiple threads

None of these steps completely fixed the problem. NC is no longer processing 65k hands from my <10k hand database, but it still goes over by a little bit and there are still a large number of unlinked/incorrectly linked hands. I have one documented example of a hand getting corrected after resetting notes again, but there are a lot more example of hands that were incorrect prior to the reset and stayed incorrect after the reset. Additionally, certain notes are always linked to the correct hands, while other notes are always linked to the same incorrect hand, through multiple resets. Do you know how NC identifies the hand that generates a note? Is it by the hand number, or some other identifier in the database?

Here are screenshots for a hand that got fixed after a reset. The stat is Cbet IP, and the J7o and Q6s hands were already correct. The last hand in the first screenshot is clearly the wrong hand, because the hand history shows a limped pot. In the second screenshot, the hand is corrected to AQo, and the action matches the note. You can see that the text notes did not change before and after the update, and neither did the scatter graph, so only the linked hand is incorrect. In this particular example, the incorrect hand with the KK4 flop was the hand immediately after the correct hand with the Q52 flop. There are other incorrect hands that are several hands away from the correct hand, and yet others where the incorrect hand is from a completely different table and tournament. Is NC drifting out of sync with my database, causing the wrong hand to be linked?

Before reset:
https://i.imgur.com/9YSkmbd.jpg

After reset:
https://i.imgur.com/ZhCvlmj.jpg
rdynor

Postby nostrakhan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:47 pm

Hi rdynor,

You mentioned resolution, and this gave me a clue. I have one display at 3840x2160, but I have a custom scaling of 130%. It looks like NoteCaddy is not completely scaling aware. The Windows GDI API sees my screen resolution as 2949x1659, but NC uses the raw dimensions, causing the popups to go off the screen. If I reset scaling to 100%, popups are re-positioned correctly. This also fixes the problem with the scatter graphs and replay button not being clickable in the popups. (Heat map is still not clickable, even at 100%). Any non-100% scaling will cause this problem, even at the default increments (125%, 150%, 175%) that Windows officially supports. Hovering and clicking on the Main CaddyScatter works at any scaling level, as do any graphs inside a PT4 popup. Can you ask the development team to look into this in future updates?

That's interesting, and beyond my knowledge, so I created a ticket for the developers to look into this. Thank you for the explanation and report about it. I'll update this thread once I hear back about it.

The issue with the intermittent blank hover over the Main CaddyScatter still persists at 100% scaling. The target image is exists in the RAM drive, but NC alternates between showing it and not showing it every other hover. This behavior is only present in the Main CaddyScatter. Scatter graphs inside a PT4 popup will display the hand every time.

Would you mind creating a support ticket and sending your hands in on the ticket so that we can give them to the developers to test and try to resolve this?

Here's a link: https://support.pokertracker.com/support/ticket/176

In the ticket, please provide:
-A link to this thread
-Your Database - In PT4, click File → Backup.  Check your database and leave the rest of the settings default.  Save the backup file somewhere you will remember.
Please upload the file to a cloud service like OneDrive, Dropbox, or WeTransfer.com, and share a link in the support ticket.
nostrakhan

Postby rdynor » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:27 pm

Hi nostrakhan,

Thank you for submitting a ticket for the scaling issue.

I am happy to report that I solved the problem with the missing/incorrectly linked hands. I found the NC logs and saw that there were some hands that had parsing errors. I am using converted hands, and it turned out that I had a formatting error that affected some non-showdown hands. PT4's parser was able to import the hands without issue, but NC's parser raised errors. I fixed the bug in my converter and re-imported the hands. There are no more parsing errors in the NC logs, and every hand now seems like it is showing up correctly in the scatter graphs.

The only issue that remains unsolved is with the Main CaddyScatter. I created a new database and imported 60 real ACR hands, and can still reproduce the blank tooltip on every other hover. I opened a support ticket and sent along a backup of the database.
rdynor

Return to NoteCaddy