Displaying a statistic

Experiencing technical difficulties? Think you've found a problem with PokerTracker 3? Report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Displaying a statistic

Postby Eav1981 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 pm

I would like to have a certain statistic be displayed that i think would help my game tremendously, can any of the mods please help me set it up if its possible.

I would like to be able to judge a players ability to play the big blind with only 2 people in the pot (BB and one other) at a 6 max table with 4 or more people sitting at the table.

I can check this stat by using the following filters by creating a report using the following criteria.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hands with between 4 and 10 players at the table
Hands with between 2 and 2 players seeing the Flop
Position of the button Exactly 8
------------------------------------------------------------------

I then can select any player and see his BB/100 and see how much he is losing and make a decent guess at wether or not this player can effectivly play his BB in heads up situations.

I would like to be able to be able to hang this stat in the Hud, instead of having to create a report to see it, I play a 6max table and this stat would be very usefull.

Is this possible?

Thank you very much
Eav1981

Re: Displaying a statistic

Postby WhiteRider » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:41 am

Yes, you can build a custom stat to show how much a player won/lost in this situation.
The stat will have to be in the Holdem Cash Player Statistics section to be used in the HUD (and that's the right section for this sort of stat anyway because we're summing up what happens over all of a players hands which meet a certain criteria).

First we need to create a new column.
On the Columns tab click New and enter a name (e.g. "amt_won_bb_headsup_flop").

We need to check for:
1. Being in the BB. holdem_hand_player_statistics.position=8
2. At least 4 players at the table. holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players > 3
* If you want to limit it to 4-6 you could make it holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players > 3 AND holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players < 7
3. 2 players seeing the flop. holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players_f=2
4. The player saw the flop. holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_f_saw
This makes the expression part of the 'IF' statement:
holdem_hand_player_statistics.position=8 AND holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players > 3 AND holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players_f=2 AND holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_f_saw

Then when all these cases are true we want to add up the amount the player won in the hand: holdem_hand_player_statistics.amt_won
* If you want the value in BB rather than $ you could use: holdem_hand_player_statistics.amt_won / (holdem_limit.amt_bb *holdem_limit.val_nlpl_mult)
If the expression is false we sum zero.

This makes the full expression for your new column:
sum( if[ holdem_hand_player_statistics.position=8 AND holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players > 3 AND holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players_f=2 AND holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_f_saw, holdem_hand_player_statistics.amt_won , 0 ] )

Click 'Save'.

Now we just need a new Statistic to display the value.
Go to the Statistics tab and click New. Give your new Statistic a name and enter the column name in the Value Expression.
On the Format tab enter a Title and Width so that your stat can be displayed in reports too.
In the Format Expression you might want to enter:
format_money(amt_won_bb_headsup_flop, true)
..if you are displaying the amount won as money, or just:
/%.2f
..if you are displaying BB won/lost (i.e. the value expression formatted to 2 decimal places).

Click 'Save' again, then 'Apply' to save and store the changes.
You should now be able to add your new stat to the HUD or reports - if the HUD was already running you'll need to restart it.
WhiteRider

Postby Eav1981 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:43 am

Thanks again Mr Rider for helping me out, i really wish i could show my gratitude in some other way than just typing "thanks" Im well aware that helping me is time consuming on your part :(

I followed your directions but i seem to have a slight problem. First let me explain my theory behind using this statistic to help my game so that we can be on the same page.

The amount of money Lost (its impossible to win in Big Blind position at a 6 max table in the long run) is irrelevant unless it is summed up in Big Bets/100 hands. I have pooled over 20,000 players with over 15,000,000 milion combined hands. I then Found that the average amount of money LOST while playing 6max table, big blind position, heads up is 23 Big bets per 100 hands. If this number is lower then the player is good at playing his blinds heads up (assuming a large hand count), if the number is higher then the player is not good(and i can and should find a way to take advantage)

i used the following code in the expression

sum( if[ holdem_hand_player_statistics.position=8 AND holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players > 3 AND holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players_f=2 AND holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_f_saw, holdem_hand_player_statistics.amt_won / (holdem_limit.amt_bb *holdem_limit.val_nlpl_mult) , 0 ] )

Unfortunatly the numbers this code gives back do not make much sense, did i screw up some where when substituting the code for BB/100 hands? When i manually type in the filters, the numbers do not match with the numbers this stat gives :(
Is it also possible that the equation does not take into consideration that the player was forced to put money in the pot PREflop and thus does not count the bigblind as the player's money?
Eav1981

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:15 am

If I use this exact expression:
sum( if[ holdem_hand_player_statistics.position=8 AND holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players > 3 AND holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players_f=2 AND holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_f_saw, holdem_hand_player_statistics.amt_won, 0 ] )
..in a column and have a stat to display it, and add that stat to the Positions > Position Statistics report with a filter applied for 2 players at flop, 4-10 players in hand, Sawy flop and in BB (although that report is broken up by position anyway..) my stat exactly matches my amount won.
Note that that expression doesn't include the calculation to convert it to BBs, but I always like to prove that the basics of the stat are correct first.

If you do that, does it work for you too?

If it does, try adding the BB conversion in again and see if it makes sense.
You might want to try adding the same stat to the Position Hands report too so that you can check some individual hands - if you find that you still have a lot of hands listed for every starting hand then you might want to apply further filters (like maybe went to showdown) to narrow down the number of hands to test.
Filtering to a single limit will make this much easier to check too, because the number of BBs will be in direct proportion to the amount of money.

Just to clarify (after a little checking myself) - if you want to see the amount won in Big Blinds for no limit (as opposed to "Big Bets") then you should just use this calculation:
holdem_hand_player_statistics.amt_won / holdem_limit.amt_bb
You only need the holdem_limit.val_nlpl_mult part if you want the value in 'big bets' for no limit hands - e.g. if you play a mix of limit and NL.
WhiteRider

Postby Eav1981 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:15 am

Mr. Rider

I have followed your directions and changed to code to simply display cash amount. Unfortunatly the numbers were still way off. (When dealing with a small number of hands the numbers are close but when the hands go into the thousands the numbers are WAY off)

I have decided to mess with the code and see if the error is present in positions that do not post blinds, such as Button (position=0). The numbers come back accurate and exact and the code works flawlessly.

When the position is set to 8, the number seems to be off aproximatly 4x times. Example: Amount won with manual filters in place is -$12,000 Using the code you provided should mirror the -12,000 instead the code proves a number somewhere in the -3,800 range.

As i mentioned before, if the position is changed to something other than blinds, the code works perfectly.

Update:
Some one also contacted me via PM and said that they "read my request for BB/100 HU idea and figured it out" they said that they would like to send me the file via email adress and feel like they owe it to me for the good idea(lol) Im kind of skeptical of downloading things via email because i dont want my computer hacked, If you would like maybe i can ask him for the actual "expression" in text format to see how it matches up with yours.

thank you very much
Emin
Eav1981

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:10 am

What are you comparing your stat against to see if it's right/wrong?
Where are you testing your stat? In the HUD or in reports?
(I'd recommend testing in reports initially - it's much easier to see what's going on there.)

Have you tried it in the Positions tab in both Position Statistics and Position Hands reports to see if you can check some individual hands?
Try using some filters to narrow down the data.

If you want me to test your exact stat you can Export it from the Configure Stats window and attach it to a Support ticket - give the link to this thread and ask for it to be forwarded to me, and post the ticket number here.

As for this other person's stat, getting the text of the expression is fine, but the file he would send you isn't 'executable' (you need to import it into PT3) so should be a security risk.
If you're not happy you can ask them to send it to us via a support ticket too so that we can check it out first.
(I'd be interested to see the expression anyway, so may ask them to post that here anyway?)
WhiteRider

Postby Eav1981 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 am

I am testing the stat in Reports

If i manually put in the filters,
Hands with between 4 and 10 players at the table
Hands with between 2 and 2 players seeing the Flop
Position of the button Exactly 8

Looking at "Amount of money Won" and comparing it to the Stat we are trying to set up (they should match)

I have sent a PM to the gentleman who contacted me earlier and requested that he posts his Expression/file in this thread if he does not mind.

When i get home, ill play with the filters some more and check for individual hands (i havent tried that)

Thank you very much
Emin
Eav1981

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:41 am

You need to filter for Saw Flop too, otherwise it will include hands where two other players saw the flop and the Amount Won will include the selected player's blinds.
WhiteRider

Postby Eav1981 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:10 am

Actually thats the problem, i need to Not filter for saw flop. (other wise, if the player folds everything but the best hands in Big Blind, the stat that we are trying to set up will show that he is extremly good (but its quite the opposite because he is getting blinded out)

i cant belive i overlooked that

This makes the expression

sum( if[ holdem_hand_player_statistics.position=8 AND holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players > 3 AND holdem_hand_summary.cnt_players_f=2, holdem_hand_player_statistics.amt_won /(holdem_limit.amt_bb) , 0 ] )

This is not a usefull stat for no-limit poker as playing the blinds perfectly in a no limit game is no where near as importaint as playing them perfectly in a limit game, so i left (*holdem_limit.val_nlpl_mult) part out.

I spent 2 hours trying to get it to divide by the amount of hands played and i tried all the different code variations such as (holdem_hand_player_statistics.cnt_hands) and (holdem_limit.cnt_hands) and many others but none of them are valid expressions and i feel stupid :(

what is the expression i use to be able to to set up the last part of the formula for

holdem_hand_player_statistics.amt_won /(holdem_limit.amt_bb/ "amount of hands played")

what i need is the black circle stat (i named this stat U8 bb/100) divided by the (red stat in the picture below/100)

Eav1981

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:22 am

You need to divide by the number of hands in the Statistic, not in the Column. The column is going through each hand and summing up the amount won - inside the SUM() you are only looking at an individual hand so there is no concept of the total number of hands.

If you leave out the check for seeing flop it will count all the hands where two players saw the flop regardless of whether this included the active player - so if someone raises and gets one call by another player and the BB folds it will still include the hand. From your original request it doesn't sound like you wanted to count those hands?
WhiteRider

Next

Return to Technical Support / Bug Reports [Read Only]