Attention Mac OS Lion users

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Shebl » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:53 am

Dear PT3 users,

herewith I would like to advise you, how to get Postgresql 9.0.4 worked on new Mac OS Lion.
First of all I confirm that if you just upgraded your Snow Leopard 10.6 to Lion 10.7, as PT3 as Postgresql work properly.

If you have reformatted you HD and made a clean install of Mac OS Lion, you will not be able to install Postgresql on it.
Up to now there is no working install of Postgresql world wide.
The solution from Kraada : viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35441 does not work.
I have lost three days in order to get it worked.

Here is the Solution:

Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
The database cluster initialisation failed.

I looked into /Library/PostgreSQL/9.0 and everything seems to be there except the data directory. So open up System Preferences > Users & Groups and add a user postgres. Then as root:

cd /Library/PostgreSQL/9.0
mkdir data
chmod 700 data
chown postgres data
su postgres
./bin/initdb /Library/PostgreSQL/9.0/data
(Watch it go and then you can start your server via)

./bin/postgres -D /Library/PostgreSQL/9.0/data
or
./bin/pg_ctl start -D /Library/PostgreSQL/9.0/data/ (for daemon mode, pg_ctl --help has a full list of commands)

Now in a new tab try /Library/PostgreSQL/9.0/bin/psql -U postgres and all should connect.

After doing the above-mentioned steps you can start PT3 and connect to the Server as usual.

One word of warning. If you are using just psql without the full path it will load the default Lion psql command and you'll get this error:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/bin/psql
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
/usr/lib/libpq.5.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
Trace/BPT trap: 5

So make sure when launching psql that you include full path to the installation directory.
Shebl

Re: Attention Mac OS Lion users

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks for the update - I will include a link to this thread in kraada's sticky post. I haven't had chance to experiment with Lion yet due to technical issues, so this is really helpful.
WhiteRider

Postby Shebl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 pm

The above-mentioned method works, but with some difficulties(after each restart of mac you have to repeat the procedure).

The easiest way to get Postgresql worked refformating of HD and clean install of OS Lion as follows:

1. Delete the postgres user that is already on the system (sudo dscl . delete /Users/postgres)
2. Delete the group also (sudo dscl . delete /Groups/postgres)
3. Make postgres user yourself through System preferences -> Users & Groups
4. Install normally with the installer
5. Have fun.
Shebl

Postby bvdp » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Hello,

I have upgraded my computer to LION and before that i did not have PostreSQL on my MAC, is that necessary?

No i have tried all of the options and i still get the error at the end off the installation: " Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly. The database cluster initialization failed "

I have to say that i don't have any experience with a MAC, this all new for me.

So there is a change that i do something terribly wrong :)

I hope someone can and will help me
bvdp

Postby kraada » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:56 pm

PostgreSQL must be installed in order for PT3 to function properly. Please either see the directions above or the ones in my sticky for help in setting up PostgreSQL in Lion.
kraada

Postby Wikety » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:25 am

how to I create a new user with the root?

thanks!
Wikety

Postby bvdp » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:35 am

I only change my name in postgres and the installation of postgresql 9.0 worked.
bvdp

Postby kraada » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:54 am

Wikety,

Click on the Apple menu at the top left and choose System Preferences. In there open Users and Groups. Create a new user. The postgres user doesn't need special permissions so don't worry about that - just create it and then run the installer and the installer should take care of the rest.
kraada

Postby madsenma » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:11 pm

I have just acquired a new computer with OSX Lion and am also having problems.

I managed to install PokerTracker3 and PostgreSQL. Then when it asks to configure the server, I click Connect and it says "Unable to connect to this database. Please check the configuration."

I followed the instructions on kraada's thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35451&p=176046#p176037), however this did not help. The code to be pasted into the text editor matched what was already there.

I then followed the instructions on this thread, however once I enter the terminal and accessed /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4 (it seems I have a different version, even though I just downloaded today?), when I type in mkdir data it says Access denied.

Please advise.
madsenma

Postby kraada » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:17 pm

You need to be using a Finder with elevated privileges in order to create a subdirectory there as your user doesn't have permissions to write to that folder (only the postgres user and superuser do).
kraada

Next

Return to General [Read Only]