Server is not responding - setting up network

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Server is not responding - setting up network

Postby VillaLion » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:02 am

I'm going to apologise in advance as I know you must have been through this a thousand times already... however...

I am setting up my desktop pc to connect to my laptop Poker Tracker database. This is not something new... I have done it in the past, though the last time I needed to set it up was about a year and a half ago. This time, when I am trying to connect to my laptop (server) I am being prompted with "This server is not responding to connection attempts. Please restart the PostgreSQL service, then PokerTracker and try again."

On my server I appear to have two directories (installations?) within the Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL directory.... 8.3 and 8.4

The 8.3 directory only contains one folder called Data, and within this many subdirectories.
The 8.4 directory contains many subdirectories, so I assume this is the version PokerTracker is trying to connect to...

Within my postgressql.conf file (in both 8.3 and 8.4 directory) I have the line: listen_addresses = '*'

This is the configuration of the pg_hba.conf file (again, in both 8.3 and 8.4):

host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
host all all ::1/128 md5
host all all 192.168.0.0/24 md5

I have disabled my firewall temporarily so I know that this is not blocking any connection.

The only changes I have made since previously successfully networking PokerTracker previously are:
1) I switched from Virgin Broadband to Sky Broadband - this changed my ipconfig so I needed to update the line 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.0.0/24
2) I installed HoldemManager (I presume this is why I have 2 versions of Postgres?) - Don't worry I have since removed HoldemManager... it sucks compared to PokerTracker, but they do support PKR (albeit badly...!)....

So, I am kinda lost as to where to go from here??? Any advise??? Uninstall and reinstall postgres??

Apologies, and thank you in advance for your help.
VillaLion

Re: Server is not responding - setting up network

Postby VillaLion » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:05 am

One other thing that I forgot to mention...

I have tried Stopping and Starting the postgres service...
VillaLion

Postby kraada » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 am

Do you have a firewall on your server machine that might be blocking the incoming connections?
kraada

Postby VillaLion » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:10 am

I do, but I switched that off also...
VillaLion

Postby kraada » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:54 am

Did you remove the # in front of listen_addresses = '*'? If not you'll need to do that otherwise that line won't be interpreted.
kraada

Postby VillaLion » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 pm

Yes, there is not a # in front of any of the lines...
VillaLion

Postby kraada » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Check in the C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.x\data\pg_log folder on the server after you attempt to connect from the laptop - does the connection attempt register in the log?
kraada

Postby VillaLion » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:25 am

hmmm... there were all sorts of weird and wonderful entries in the log... however

I have gone to connect to the database today, and it connected immediately without any issues. I have not changed a single thing... the PC's have both been on since last night, the firewalls turned themselves on yet now it connects... I am truely baffled, but at least it now works!

Thank you for your help Kraada.
VillaLion

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:36 am

That's good to hear - thanks for letting us know.
WhiteRider

Postby kevinscottking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:38 pm

I had a similar problem, it couldn't connect after installing Poker Tracker 4 (after previously using Poker Traker 3 a few years). After rebooting everything worked fine!
kevinscottking

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]