Antivirus and version 4.02.1

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Re: Antivirus and version 4.02.1

Postby rekyl » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:15 pm

Ok thanks kraada, I will take this up with F-Secure.

Just one last thing. What changed date have you on those two files, TiltCommunicator.pt3 and StarsCommunicator.pt3? And/or could anybody else reading this thread look at the changed date of those files after installing 4.02.1 and tell me what it is?
rekyl

Postby kraada » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:12 pm

My VM is still running XP so it won't report the same dates as you most likely since creation date is based on that file so match the 4.02.1 install date. The last time I see them being accessed on my end are September 25, 2011 for TiltCommunicator and April 5, 2012 for StarsCommunicator.

But I'm sure TiltCommunicator was last changed well before that as Full Tilt was no longer offering games as of June 2011 . . .
kraada

Postby rekyl » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Ok here is the crazy thing. When I reinstalled the package with the new files (I confirmed before the install that the files was not present, they were quarantined) I turned off my AV program. So the AV program would not change any files during install. Before I turned on my AV program again I made sure that the files in question was excluded for any kind of scanning. This was all done on 29.07.2012. The files have a changed date, as before mentioned, 28.07.12 15:29 and 15:30 (my local time). So for me this says that neither did the installation of the package or my AV program alter the changed date of those two files.

The nearest time I can find that connects with the changed date time, is Josh's post on 28.07.2012 16:42 (again my local time) about the new release of 4.02.1. Ok, so I'm guessing that it has something to do with the install package for 4.02.1 which kind of resets the changed date for all files to the time for the creation or the release of the installation package for 4.02.1. If this is true I'm expecting to find a bunch of files with that new date for the changed stamp. To my surprise I'm only finding 4 files with that date stamp in all my folders for the PT4 program. Those files are PokerTracker4.exe, PokertrackerHud4.exe, StarsCommunicator.pt4 and TiltCommunicator.pt3. This doesn't make sense. If nothing have been changed in those last two files, but still the date stamp has been changed, this would have happened to a lot of other files too.

I guess I need to ask you about another last thing. Can you please find someone else in your team which isn't running VM or any other special stuff, but just have an ordinary setup with an upgrade to 4.02.1 and tell me what date stamp they have for the changed time (not created or accessed, but changed) for the files TiltCommunicator.pt3 and StarsCommunicator.pt4. If somebody else reading this thread could check out the same and report it in this thread it would be nice.
rekyl

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:14 am

I'm showing "modified" dates of 28/07/12 for TiltCommunicator.pt3 and 02/12/11 for BodogCommunicator.pt3 in my main PT4 installation.
This is really irrelevant, though - modified times can be updated as part of the process of compiling an application, but that doesn't mean that the content of the files has changed.
WhiteRider

Postby Josh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:20 am

The files are re-encrypted with our anti-piracy software with each release. Therefore, the signature of the file changes with each release, even though the actual functionality of the file hasn't changed.

Our anti-piracy software is so effective that a lot of virus makers use it to protect their viruses. Therefore, some anti-virus companies have resorted to flagging any executable encrypted by this software as suspicious.

All we can do in this situation is submit the files to the anti-virus companies and hope they update their definitions to reflect the new files.
Josh
Site Admin

Postby rekyl » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks WhiteRider for the verification and to you Josh for your explanation.

It was kind of what you explained, Josh, that I guessed on what could have happened. I still have one question hanging though. Why did only 4 files of the whole release get the new signature (7/28) and one of them being the unused TiltCommunicator.pt3? I see that I may have misunderstood what you said, if you meant that the anti-piracy software only re-encrypts those 4 files for each release.
rekyl

Previous

Return to PokerTracker 4