A version of pokertracker is already running

A special forum dedicated to our PT4 for Mac OS X users

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Re: A version of pokertracker is already running

Postby kraada » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Update: I've been told that a crash that may cause this problem has been fixed, but we do not have any logs from users experiencing this problem. We need logs in order to test and verify that this issue will be fixed. We have not been able to reproduce this on our end and as such we need logs to be able to confirm important details of this behavior.
kraada

FIXED: A version of pokertracker is already running

Postby SporkChops » Wed May 01, 2013 12:05 pm

I was having the same issue. Followed the instructions above including listing active processes and uninstalling/reinstalling and restarting. None of this helped. Still the same error message: A version of poker tracker is already running.

Then I decided to mess with the PostgreSQL server a little bit to see if that was the problem. I ran the Reaload Configuration.app as well as the pgAdmin III.app. When started pgAdmin, it asked my for the server password in order to connect to the server. So I connected, then disconnected manually,then restarted. After the restart, the problem was resolved and PT4 started normally, except for a notification about recovering from a crash and asking to send a report, which I did.

I know this sounds like voodoo, but thats what I did. Nevertheless, it sounds like the PostgreSQL server is involved in/causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

PS This happened after I left my laptop on standby without quitting PT4 last night. As others have pointed out, it sounds like something isn't getting dropped properly the Mac goes into standby mode.
SporkChops

Postby kraada » Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 pm

There is a known crash that's happening regarding Macs going to sleep that's already fixed for the next version, but things should restart normally. We need some logs of the issue though to find out why they aren't. Once we have those we can fix the second portion of this issue.
kraada

Postby boonos » Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 am

i have the same problem. this is very annoying. any idea when this will be fixed????
boonos

Postby WhiteRider » Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 am

kraada wrote:There is a known crash that's happening regarding Macs going to sleep that's already fixed for the next version, but things should restart normally. We need some logs of the issue though to find out why they aren't. Once we have those we can fix the second portion of this issue.

Please open a Support Ticket and report your problem so that we can get your logs to the development team and fix this fully.
WhiteRider

Postby AfterBeat » Fri May 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Dear moderator,

How are you supposed to create log files when you can't even startup the program? Tell me how (on a Mac) and I will send you one asap.
AfterBeat

Postby kraada » Sat May 04, 2013 7:09 am

When logging is enabled the log file is created the very first thing when you start PT4 - before the check to see if another PT4 is running. Just hold down the ctrl key when you start PT4 and the log file will be created in ~/Documents/PokerTracker 4/ - send it to us via our support system and we'll take it from there.
kraada

Postby sxnahm » Sun May 05, 2013 3:45 pm

"Just hold down the ctrl key when you start PT4 and the log file will be created in ~/Documents/PokerTracker 4/"

This had no effect for me. No log file was created when I held down the control key and attempted to start the application. Is there a properties file where the logging option can be set?

Regarding another post on how to fix this:

"... I ran the Reaload Configuration.app as well as the pgAdmin III.app. When started pgAdmin, it asked my for the server password in order to connect to the server. So I connected, then disconnected manually,then restarted. After the restart, the problem was resolved and PT4 started normally"

I tried this to and no effect. It's been over a week now since this problem started for me, and I have yet to be able to run pokertracker due to this issue. I hope your support team is urgently working to resolve this issue, or provide an effect means to workaround the issue.
sxnahm

Postby WhiteRider » Mon May 06, 2013 3:24 am

sxnahm wrote:"Just hold down the ctrl key when you start PT4 and the log file will be created in ~/Documents/PokerTracker 4/"

This had no effect for me. No log file was created when I held down the control key and attempted to start the application. Is there a properties file where the logging option can be set?

You actually hold the "alt" key while starting PT4 to enable logging on Mac. You should see a message indicating that logging is enabled when you do this.
WhiteRider

Postby tarix » Mon May 06, 2013 4:58 am

sxnahm wrote:It's been over a week now since this problem started for me, and I have yet to be able to run pokertracker due to this issue. I hope your support team is urgently working to resolve this issue, or provide an effect means to workaround the issue.

This has already been fixed for our next release. If you are still getting this message you need to reboot your Mac and then open a terminal and paste the following command in it:

Code: Select all
rm ~/.pokertracker4.pid

In the future when you have an issue with PokerTracker please submit a support request so that we can get your issue resolved.
tarix
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to PT4 for macOS