Upgaded to windows 10, now can't connect to postgres

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Upgaded to windows 10, now can't connect to postgres

Postby 9_balla » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Since getting windows 10 my pokertracker won't connect. On startup it just stays blank for a few min, then comes up with message

Unable to login to database (postgres). Reason: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "???" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

I've tried turning off my antiviruses, and even windows firewall but still won't start.

I try to manually restart postgre, but it just flashes on screen briefly then is gone.

What am I missing?
9_balla

Re: Upgaded to windows 10, now can't connect to postgres

Postby mantono » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:14 pm

You have to delete C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\postgres.qosp or something like it, then you have to restart your pc and will fix your problem. I haved the same problema 3 days ago. Make sure which you close ur pokertracker after finish ur session or u gonna take the same problem ever.
mantono

Postby 9_balla » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:33 pm

Thx much for your help, but is there any chance you could be more specific. I can get to the PostgreSQL folder. (though it appears that I'm running 8.3) Then there is tons of files and folders and I can't find the specific one you mentioned...Thx again.
9_balla

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Go into the "Data" folder and if you see a "postmaster.pid" file there, delete it (not "postmaster.opts" which may be there too). Once that is done reboot your computer and try starting PokerTracker 4 again.
Flag_Hippo

Postby 9_balla » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Flag_Hippo wrote:Go into the "Data" folder and if you see a "postmaster.pid" file there, delete it (not "postmaster.opts" which may be there too). Once that is done reboot your computer and try starting PokerTracker 4 again.

It's funny, I'd actually noticed the postmaster.opts file, and that it was modified around the time I got 10 so I'd already tried to delete it and reboot, but it didn't work.

I've since restored it, and gone back to find postmaster.pids but it doesn't exist. postmaster.opts is the only file in Data that starts with postmaster.
9_balla

Postby 9_balla » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:11 pm

Now I rebooted one more time after restoring postmaster.opts Now it works.

Not sure exactly what happened there, but tyvm to those who helped.
9_balla

Postby thesundancekid32 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:28 am

i am getting the exact same problen ever since i upgared to win 10

i have opened the folder that you say and can only see a postmaster.opts file so now what do i do ?????????????
thesundancekid32

Postby kraada » Thu May 19, 2016 11:19 am

The easiest thing to do is re-run the PostgreSQL installer - upgrading your OS is a big change and sometimes the service doesn't make it across the upgrade successfully - if you reinstall things should work.
kraada

Postby RL82 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:04 pm

So I got the same message after upgrading to Windows 10. I'm running PostgreSQL 8.3

I could not find the "postmaster.pid" file to delete (I only have "postmaster.opts")

Looks like I should try upgrading postgreSQL. Is there any links/guides to help me with that? If so, do I need to uninstall my old version first? And which version should I upgrade too?

Thank you
RL82

Postby WhiteRider » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:23 am

Our PostgreSQL guides are here. In order to upgrade you need to make a backup of your current database, which will require you to reinstall your current version first. Our current recommended version if you want to upgrade is 9.3.
WhiteRider

Next

Return to PokerTracker 4