Port 5432 Database Problem

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Port 5432 Database Problem

Postby airharm » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:00 pm

In pokertracker one day (the June 1, 2008 verson), when i started it up, i got this error that said, "Unable to login to database (PT3 DB). Reason: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?"

So, like suggested by various people, I uninstalled postgresql, did the delete thing in command prompt, and reinstalled it all over again. Then I manually imported all my hand histories from a zip file that I keep just incase of sh*t happening like this, and then 30 minutes later, everything was all good. I started playing at the tables, doing my thing, multi-tabling, and then about 30 minutes later my pokertracker shuts down randomly, and i get some force shutdown error. I go okay, I'll just go restart the program, but when I open up Pokertracker once again, I get the same error, "Unable to login to database (PT3 DB). Reason: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?"

This time, I uninstall everything, Pokertracker 3, postgresql, delete all my data, do the delete user in command prompt thing, and I go download an older version of Pokertracker (the May 16th, 2008 verson), then install everything, including postresql and my hand histories. (I also had to reregister the program with my code). Okay, everything is all good once again, so I go play on pokerstars, and everything works nice. I play for about 8 hours and get in a good session.

The next day, I start up Pokertracker 3, and there and behold, I get the error, "Unable to login to database (PT3 DB). Reason: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?" once again..

Somebody please help me, I am getting really irritated, and in all honesty, I'm going to keep this bumped to the top in the troubleshooting and postresql forums until this problem is fixed. And I don't think this is being selfish as there are many other people experiencing the same problem, all who have also payed good money for this software. I hope I do not have to uninstall and reinstall everything every single day.. (I already spent like 5 hours yesterday troubleshooting this problem).
airharm

Re: Port 5432 Database Problem

Postby airharm » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:35 pm

Update: I'm going to uninstall all my anti adware/spyware programs before I reinstall Pokertracker 3: May 16th build. I'll give feedback later.
airharm

Postby keggler » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:36 am

when you get this error - is the postgres service stuck in limbo trying to start?

if so, you've got a permissions problem that another piece of software has set on a file folder or a registry key that is stopping the postgres service get going.

use procmon from sysinternals to identify what is doing that - i had this problem, and in my case, it was an ancient spamfilter i had called spampal - i never would have guessed this in a million years unless procmon had given me the clue - when i took this out, postgres was fine.

susan
keggler

Postby kakature » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:33 am

There are serveral threads about this issue, using Search is not a crime ;).

Susan, I know you have solved this problem and I appreciate you helping us. But can I ask you what to do more specific? I installed procmon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96645.aspx right?) but I never worked with that program and I don't know what to do with it to be honest.

As far as I know I don't have a program blocking anything. It's weird because I never had this problem before and I didn't (un)install anything.

Thanks.
kakature

Postby keggler » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:01 am

Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.

So, what you do, is start procmon - it will be logging loads of entries at 1st...

run the postgres install, or start the postgres service - filter the procmon to the install's or postgres process PID, wait for postgres install to go over or the service start to stall - and look at the access in procmon to see what that PID is succeeding in doing or failing - that should be your clue into the folder or registry key that's hanging the whole thing...

that access may have something to do with a completely different app holding a lock that postgres needs to get going...

any clearer now?? - lol

Susan
keggler

Postby kakature » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:29 am

keggler wrote:Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.

So, what you do, is start procmon - it will be logging loads of entries at 1st...

run the postgres install, or start the postgres service - filter the procmon to the install's or postgres process PID, wait for postgres install to go over or the service start to stall - and look at the access in procmon to see what that PID is succeeding in doing or failing - that should be your clue into the folder or registry key that's hanging the whole thing...

that access may have something to do with a completely different app holding a lock that postgres needs to get going...

any clearer now?? - lol

Susan

Thanks.

Procmon is running for a few hours now and still logging 11million entries and couting. Do I just have to wait till it's over? What do you mean with 'postgres process PID'?

So filters work like this right?
Filter -> Proces Name is postgres.exe -> Apply.

Then I run the postgres service and just watch what happens?

I'm really sorry for all these questions but I'm a postgresql newbie :lol:
kakature

Postby keggler » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:49 pm

right, let's start from basics:

the postgres service in the services.msc snap-in is stalled "starting", yes?

if i assume this is the case, halt the postgres service manually for now, launch procmon, restart the postgres service, make a note of the postgres process ID (PID) from windows task manager, filter the procmon to this PID, scroll down to the bottom and look for any folders/registry keys this PID is trying to access.

the path and result columns in procmon should give you the clue as to the offending item...

if it turns out to be the path of a completely different app, this is the culprit that's holding the lock that's preventing postgres from starting - that app needs to be disabled, uninstalled or updated so it does not conflict with the postgres service.

susan
keggler

Postby airharm » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:54 pm

wow thanks a lot for the replies keggler. i haven't played poker since the last error so i'm not sure if it's already fixed, but if it happens again, i'll give this procmon thing a try.

thanks again!
airharm

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]