Using Caddy on two devices

NoteCaddy for PokerTracker 4. Information is power!

Moderators: Flag_Hippo, Moderators, NoteCaddy Moderators

Using Caddy on two devices

Postby Kondrat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi

I have PT4 installed on PC & tablet, win10 quite powerful one. To say, it runs 6+ PS tables and PT4 on 300k hands DB performing only slightly uncomfortable. Synchronization is achieved in kinda non-IT way: initial settings and HUDs had been imported manually, processed hand history files are set to be moved to the same Google drive folder on both devices, to be imported from it with 'Get hands from disk' manually and to be manually moved to a zip after import. Not a real automation, but goes rather quick. I used to switch devices amidst sessions several times, and even if don't wait for a break (I play MTTs), I get stats on the tablet within 2-3 minutes, a minute on the PC.

Now I've considered trying Caddy. It all went nicely on the i5-6300HQ 16Gb PC. 4 threads @ 2.3GHz untweaked run all the software smoothly leaving plenty of CPU & memory not to be bothered closing other apps. It displayed 350-600 hands/s speed on the initial pass for the default+MTT packs, playing requires less power. But now I see 50-65 H/s initial pass speed on the x5-Z8350 4Gb 1.44GHz 2 threads tablet and am concerned a little. So there are 2 questions I'd like to get advice on, please.

1. To begin, mastering NoteCaddy requires plenty of non-stopping experimenting and testing, playing with options, definitions etc... I use PC for that, indeed. What is the best way to synchronize everything of Caddy's from the PC with the tablet's?

2. NoteCaddy will run on my tablet, I estimate, maybe after some tweaking. But fast device switching with recent hands import is, I assume, unachievable if I do it my old way. I'm ok with playing, let's say, 5 minutes without HUD, but really want it within the time or the tablet appears obsolete... Indeed, the tablet must obviously run DB locally. Is there a right way to get DBs synchronized relatively quickly (not times slower as it goes my half-manual way with PT only) while allowing PS client to run 4 tables without huge lags?

If it helps, I'm not deep in database business, but pgAdmin doesn't scare me tho. I even understand why & what to click... sometimes :D

I'd really appreciate help on setting everything correctly

Thanks in advance

Kondrat
Kondrat

Re: Using Caddy on two devices

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:13 pm

You can have your tablet connect to the database on your PC which means you wouldn't have to sync' anything at all - see this guide for details.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Kondrat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:06 am

Flag_Hippo wrote:You can have your tablet connect to the database on your PC

Kondrat wrote:the tablet must obviously run DB locally

Sorry, but the tablet is used not only for smoking out of apartment :) I connect it with my phone and use out of home, indeed. I posses enough knowledge to setup internet connection, I had already tried it after purchasing PT, but plain 3G (my mobile supports 4G+, but 3G is the only option in several places I play poker in) is not enough even w/o NoteCaddy. So could you, please, advice me on the best possible solution for my case.

If there is absolutely no way to resolve the problem convenient way (I am sure there is, but possibly not really straightforward, kinda my current 'synchronization'), maybe you know of any sophisticated solution involving Android? My phone is more powerful, than the tablet :) QC821 2.34GHz tweakable, 6/128Gb

Thank you in advance

Kondrat
Kondrat

Postby Kondrat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:44 am

I just thought the case can be split into two separate: PC-hosted DB for home use, fully synchronized local DB for outside.

Despite I know enough of networking to setup the former (but I know nothing about NoteCaddy settings, definitions etc here), I lack of SQL for the latter & proper combination of both for PT+Caddy. For the latter, sync time is not of high importance taking it is relevant. How do you think?

Kondrat
Kondrat

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:20 am

Other than sharing the same database over a local network there isn't anything else I can suggest so if that's not an option because you play away from home then you will need to manually sync things as you are already doing. There might be other options but unfortunately that's something I cannot advise you on as I am not familiar with it and its beyond the scope of support I can provide.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Kondrat » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:09 am

Thank you for the answer, pity it doesn't resolve.

I'll try to setup the DB on a VPS if find a way to minimize traffic down to the 3G level, I address PG community for help. Can provide you with feedback if succeed.

Please, advice me on manual sync of NoteCaddy options, definitions etc, to make DB requests and updates similar on both devices. I don't know where each piece of it is stored, not in the DB for all, afaik. Let's imagine I use LAN DB, what is to be synced on both devices manually & how (where is it stored & what actions are needed to update if changed)?

Cheers

Kondrat
Kondrat

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:50 am

All the notes are stored in the database but the definitions themselves are not so if you make any changes to your HUD and/or NoteCaddy definitions those changes will need to be exported from one computer and imported into the other. To export NoteCaddy definitions you can select them in the NoteCaddy window and then export them via the right click menu and they can be imported to another computer using 'Tools -> Import'.
Flag_Hippo

Return to NoteCaddy