Recommendation new laptop/pc needed

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Recommendation new laptop/pc needed

Postby ommaha » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi,
I am a complete noob unfortunately when it comes to technical stuff. I am about to buy a new machine for playing poker using Stars, Ipoker, Pokerbros and Pokertracker at the same time.
I remember when I bought my last one it was so important to get an SSD as RAM seemed to be the bottleneck back then. How is that now? What should I look out for in components and does a laptop make sense (I'd really really like to be mobile but maybe laptops lack in performance regarding graphic card? RAM? CPU? Other stuff?)
I very much appreciate any help
ommaha

Re: Recommendation new laptop/pc needed

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:05 am

Having an SSD would be the most important factor and also make sure that it is large enough for your needs as having a full drive with no space can cause problems. It is ideal to have as much free space as the size of your largest database, although for most operations that much isn't really necessary. That said, Windows works more efficiently when you have a good amount of free disk space too. You'd want enough RAM so you don't run out of memory if you are playing on a large number of sites/tables at once and most modern CPUs and graphics cards will be sufficient for playing poker with.
Flag_Hippo

Postby ommaha » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:42 pm

Thank you very much. It looks to me as if there are different SSD out there (being a noob I don't know the differences). Which type is best? M.2? NvMe? Pcl 2.0/3.0
What to look out for?
Any help very appreciated
ommaha

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:24 am

Flag_Hippo

Postby ommaha » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:06 pm

So basically Pcl NvMe SSD m.2 is best. Thank you
ommaha

Return to PokerTracker 4