Reindexing 34 gig database, elapsed time 2 days so far

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Reindexing 34 gig database, elapsed time 2 days so far

Postby Jackntigger » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:18 pm

Hi, I made a bunch of new custom stats that loaded slowly or not at all so I selected rebuild cache and then custom rebuild. I have an i-7 16gb ram HDD drive. I've done this before and it took a couple of hours. This time, my database is 34 gigs and the message I see says, Reindexing database elapsed time 44:13:20. Will this end at some point? Is there anything I can do? I understand that if I cancel the operation, I'll mess up my database.
Thanks
Jackntigger

Re: Reindexing 34 gig database, elapsed time 2 days so far

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:52 am

Jackntigger wrote:This time, my database is 34 gigs and the message I see says, Reindexing database elapsed time 44:13:20. Will this end at some point? Is there anything I can do?

Is it still going? If your database is that large and not on an SSD then that might take some time if you are doing a full cache rebuild (see below). Also if you don't have a much free space on your disk (at least the size of the database) then that will have an impact. To run any backup/restore/housekeeping functions on your database you should have at least as much free space on the disk as your database uses and Windows also works much more efficiently when you have a good amount of free disk space too.
Jackntigger wrote:I've done this before and it took a couple of hours.

If nothing else has changed much from when you've done this before (DB size, free space) maybe you selected 'Full Cache Rebuild' instead of a custom rebuild? It's also possible one or more of your new custom statistics is causing a problem or there is an underlying issue with the database.
Jackntigger wrote:I understand that if I cancel the operation, I'll mess up my database.

If the process is cancelled then the database cache will not be in a usable state which will likely lead to performance issues until it has been started again and allowed to finish.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Jackntigger » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:34 pm

Hi, it's been reindexing the same database for all this time, 89 hours now. I believe that I selected, "custom rebuild." I have 635 GBs of free disk space so I don't think this is a problem. I don't use this database while playing so I don't need it for my hud. If I stop the process, will I still be able to to do database analysis with this database ( do filtering and run reports )?

https://i.imgur.com/w23vtFm.png
Jackntigger

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:48 am

Jackntigger wrote:Hi, it's been reindexing the same database for all this time, 89 hours now. I believe that I selected, "custom rebuild." I have 635 GBs of free disk space so I don't think this is a problem.

You can see if PostgreSQL is still using resources in task manager but it shouldn't be taking this long. If you decide to cancel then as I mentioned it's possible that something in your new custom statistics is causing a problem or there is an underlying issue with the database. You can try enabling logging, run the cache rebuild for a bit and then send your log file to us in a Support Ticket:

Guide: How to Create & Submit a PokerTracker4.log File
Jackntigger wrote:I don't use this database while playing so I don't need it for my hud. If I stop the process, will I still be able to to do database analysis with this database ( do filtering and run reports )?

Possibly but I cannot predict what performance will be like if the database cache isn't in a usable state.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Jackntigger » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:14 am

I back up my databases regularly. It just took me three days to restore this database to the state it was in before I rebuilt the cache. At the end of the restoration, I was asked a stupid question. "Undo Restored Files?" I answered NO because I don't want to undo anything, I want my restored files. Then I was told that my restoration was cancelled. This question should have never been asked. Here's a picture. Am I right in assuming I answered this question wrong? So I wasted another three days.

https://i.imgur.com/lVALdSM.png
Jackntigger

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:30 pm

That suggests there was a problem. Did you enable logging for this? If so please send that log file to us in a Support Ticket so we can see what is going on in the background and investigate. You can access the 'Logs' folder with the log file by clicking 'File --> Open User Data Folder' in the main PokerTracker 4 window and the file we need is the text file called 'PokerTracker4' or 'PokerTracker4.log' that is in that folder but if you have since restarted PokerTracker 4 the logs will be in the 'Archive' folder. There is a 10MB limit for attachments so if the relevant log file is larger than that please zip/compress the log file beforehand. If logging wasn't enabled then please enable it:

1 Start PokerTracker 4.

2. Click "Configure -> Options" and if "Logging Enabled" doesn't have a check mark, click it such that it does.

3. Restart PokerTracker 4.

Now logging will be enabled everytime you start PokerTracker 4. Next time you have an issue you can then send the current log file to us although to avoid waiting you can just let the cache rebuild/restore run for a bit before cancelling it and sending the log and we can check to see if there is anything unusual. Also if this isn't a database specific issue but is a problem with a custom statistic, which I mentioned could be possible, then you may be able to reproduce this issue with one of your smaller databases.
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4