I have unlimited resources, what can I do to speed up PT4

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

I have unlimited resources, what can I do to speed up PT4

Postby TravisTOJ » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:25 am

So I have a beast computer here, hoped it would help, but PT4 is still slow and I can't make it use more RAM, CPUs.

Is there anything I might try to manually tweak after having tried the usual DB performance tweaks in-app.

I have tweaked a few memory settings in Postgres and it hasn't helped yet. I since reverted those DB settings.

I love the app but would love the heat charts and stuff to be fast enough to be useable.

Thanks in advance for your help.
TravisTOJ

Re: I have unlimited resources, what can I do to speed up PT

Postby TravisTOJ » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:28 am

FYI: All on an SSD, too.
TravisTOJ

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:45 pm

I don't have any specific tweaks for you without but if you have a number of custom statistics that are using the database cache then there shouldn't be any significant delays. If that's the case you can report your issue to us with your log file so we can see what's going on and follow up with you:

Tutorial: Reporting A Problem

Bear in mind that PostgreSQL has a limit of 1,600 columns in a table so if you have a number of custom heat maps it's possible you might have exceeded this limit as each individual heat map requires hundreds of columns and if you have custom statistics that are not using the database cache then they would need to be calculated on the fly and there will likely be delays as a result.
Flag_Hippo

Postby TravisTOJ » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:44 am

Thanks so much for the quick reply and suggestions.

I felt a bit like it might be postgres when I looked in there and ran a direct "select * from tourney_hand_summary" directly in pgadmin and that takes 115 seconds for 370-380K records with no joins at all (but didn't stress my system at all).

My PT4 heatmaps are just the stock standard ones right now to look at my RFI, or VPIP, etc from each position. And I have very few added stats (I think just one), I'll investigate them still. These do seem to take more than 4 minutes without any sort of filter other than by position. I only have about 4 reports right now, too. But have been looking at making more for my students, that's what got me investigating.

This might be normal timing, but I thought I should check I could make more things just live in cache, or just somehow use more of my resources that are available (it's not stressing my system at the slightest). Happy to put in a report if you think it's outside of the normal.

Thanks again!

Flag_Hippo wrote:I don't have any specific tweaks for you without but if you have a number of custom statistics that are using the database cache then there shouldn't be any significant delays. If that's the case you can report your issue to us with your log file so we can see what's going on and follow up with you:

Tutorial: Reporting A Problem

Bear in mind that PostgreSQL has a limit of 1,600 columns in a table so if you have a number of custom heat maps it's possible you might have exceeded this limit as each individual heat map requires hundreds of columns and if you have custom statistics that are not using the database cache then they would need to be calculated on the fly and there will likely be delays as a result.
TravisTOJ

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:44 am

TravisTOJ wrote:I felt a bit like it might be postgres when I looked in there and ran a direct "select * from tourney_hand_summary" directly in pgadmin and that takes 115 seconds for 370-380K records with no joins at all (but didn't stress my system at all).

My PT4 heatmaps are just the stock standard ones right now to look at my RFI, or VPIP, etc from each position. And I have very few added stats (I think just one), I'll investigate them still. These do seem to take more than 4 minutes without any sort of filter other than by position. I only have about 4 reports right now, too.

PokerTracker 4 doesn't have any "heatmaps" built-in other than the 'Holdem Hand Range Visualizer' report. If that report is taking over 4 minutes to populate on a database of less than 400k hands then please enable logging, reproduce this problem and then send your log file to us in a Support Ticket so we can see what's going on in the background. You can access the 'Logs' folder with the log file by clicking 'File --> Open User Data Folder' in the main PokerTracker 4 window and the file we need is the text file called 'PokerTracker4' or 'PokerTracker4.log' that is in that folder.
Flag_Hippo

Postby TravisTOJ » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:34 am

thanks, I'll gather all the info I can and submit
TravisTOJ

Return to PokerTracker 4