I think I found a bug with the effective stack stat

Discuss how to create custom stats, reports and HUD profiles and share your creations.

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

I think I found a bug with the effective stack stat

Postby leviathan74 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:51 pm

So over the past few days, I ve been trying to build a custom report and hud popup for Blind vs Blind confrontations among others.

As part of that, I wanted to filter my report and popup for different effective stack sizes. So, after some research, I downloaded Krada's Group by effective M report, made the appropriate changes to it and I created a stat that grouped by effective big blinds.

However, the results I was getting were strange, especially at lower stack depths. Essentially, whereas in terms of actual stack size, pokertracker showed me as having played 91 hands below 2.5BB in the BB when Heads Up, when I applied the effective stacks stat, it showed that i had played around 5000 hands, which was equivalent to 25% of all the hands I 've played HU! Initially, I thought I made a mistake- and that still may be the case. So just to make sure, I went to the Filters menu and chose manually to filter for effective stack sizes below 2.5BB. Sure enough, it gave me the same results.

https://i.imgur.com/a3eh6hU.png

Then just to make sure, I started checking out actual hands. As it turns out in not one out of the 10 hands I checked was the effective stack size smaller than 2.5BB.

Like I said, I could still have made a mistake, but this seems like a bug to me.
leviathan74

Re: I think I found a bug with the effective stack stat

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:27 am

leviathan74 wrote:As part of that, I wanted to filter my report and popup for different effective stack sizes. So, after some research, I downloaded Krada's Group by effective M report, made the appropriate changes to it and I created a stat that grouped by effective big blinds.

What changes did you make? The initial custom report was based on actual stack size and not effective stack size but I don't know what edits you made. Please post/attach specific details.
leviathan74 wrote:However, the results I was getting were strange, especially at lower stack depths. Essentially, whereas in terms of actual stack size, pokertracker showed me as having played 91 hands below 2.5BB in the BB when Heads Up, when I applied the effective stacks stat, it showed that i had played around 5000 hands, which was equivalent to 25% of all the hands I 've played HU! Initially, I thought I made a mistake- and that still may be the case. So just to make sure, I went to the Filters menu and chose manually to filter for effective stack sizes below 2.5BB. Sure enough, it gave me the same results.

The 'Filters' text next to 'Sorting' in your screenshot is blue which means you are using custom expression filters and these were not included in the original report either. Please post what expression filters you are using and also make sure you haven't turned off the 'Filter On Active Player' option.
leviathan74 wrote:Then just to make sure, I started checking out actual hands. As it turns out in not one out of the 10 hands I checked was the effective stack size smaller than 2.5BB.

Like I said, I could still have made a mistake, but this seems like a bug to me.

Please post the details of one of the individual hands you checked.
Flag_Hippo

Postby leviathan74 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:19 pm

Sorry for a very very very late response, at the time I switched focus on working on other stats and then life intervened and the issue went on the back burner.

I revisited the issue today and as so often happens when you have a fresh look at an issue, you find the answer. As it turns out, I did come across a bug, only one that has been known for a long time. As the thread bellow explains, when it's folded to you in the BB, your effective stack is counted as zero.

https://pt4.pokertracker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=51455&start=10

Whereas this bug doesn't affect the quality of the stats, it does affect how Win Rate is calculated by stack depth. Since every time I get a walk, my effective stack is calculated as zero, my win rate at small stack depths is astronomical. The thing is I want to have an accurate image of my win rate and it seems to me that the best way to do that is to calculate the effective stack between the SB and the BB when I get a walk. This is for a B vs B report after all.

So how to do that? On the thread I linked above, there was another link to a 2+2 thread in which a user posted the following code to have executed on pg admin:
Code: Select all
update tourney_hand_player_statistics as player
set amt_p_effective_stack =
  (select min(villains.amt_p_effective_stack)
   from tourney_hand_player_statistics as villains
   where player.id_hand = villains.id_hand
   and player.id_player <> villains.id_player)
where player.amt_p_effective_stack = 0

Does this do the trick? In my layman's eyes it seems that it does, but I am not sure.

Thanks again.
leviathan74

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:09 am

That works. You can try it out on a test database although if you are going to be modifying your main database outside of PokerTracker 4 using PGAdmin I recommend that you backup your existing data first.
Flag_Hippo

Postby leviathan74 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:17 am

Thank you, I will do both.
leviathan74

Return to Custom Stats, Reports and HUD Profiles