Unable to login to database error.

Experiencing technical difficulties? Think you've found a problem with PokerTracker 3? Report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Unable to login to database error.

Postby Djay » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:48 am

I used PT yesterday and it worked like a charm. Firering up today i get "Uable to login to database (Database name) Reason could not connect to server: Connection refused. (etcetc)"
I get this error for both databases.

The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that i run a pc clean last nigth after shutting down PT. I know that it removed some programmes from the start up menu. The first thing i thougth about was maybe i removed postgre from staring or something. I tried starting the postgre from the program menu, and restarting PT, but same error.

If it makes a diffrence im using Beta 16 og postgre 8.2

Always scary to look into a screwed database. Please help.

Oh....Edit: There has been no change in password or files moved/progrems uninstalled. All the "localhost" and and accepting TCP/IP and post 5432 settings are correct.
Djay

Re: Unable to login to database error.

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:52 am

That probably means that postgres isn't running.
After you started the postgres service did you get any postgres processes in Task Manager / Processes?

If that, and a reboot doesn't work, try stopping the service (Start -> Programs -> Postgres -> Stop Service), running a search on your computer for postmaster.pid and then deleting that file, then restarting the service and see if that helps.
Note that you may need to turn on 'View hidden files and folders', and the file seems to be in the folder './Program Files/postgresql/<version>/data'.
See also: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6332#p38285
WhiteRider

Postby Djay » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:07 am

Not that i know what theese processes is called, but no. After starting it i cant find any that appears to be from postgre. I suppose that is bad. Anything i can do?
Also...what process do i need to set for autorun on boot to make the postgre work auto again?

Maybe there is an easier way.....Can i reinstall postgre? Will that kill my databases?

BTW...Dont have the file you referred to. I do have "postmaster.opts" but i guess thats another file. (And yes its showing hidden files)
Djay

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:22 am

WhiteRider

Postby Djay » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:28 pm

WhiteRider wrote:Have a look at this post:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6332&p=52081#p52083

OK...i have now tried what is described in that post about a million times. Every time (regardless of if PT is running before, after, i restart or jump on one foot while singing "amazing grace" backwords) i get a message saying that the process started, but ended again because it had nothing to do. So my postgre is bored out of working? Now what?

I tried a system restore but that didnt help either.

Can i fedex my computer to you? lol! Getting frustrated.
Djay

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:46 pm

Let me see if I can get one of our postgres experts to take a look before you resort to re-installing..
WhiteRider

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:55 pm

OK, try re-installing,
Total uninstall/reinstall of pt3
..but get this version of postgres instead of the one listed in point 4. It is slightly newer than the one included in the PT3 with posgres download and seems to work better.
PostgreSQL 8.3.3
WhiteRider

Postby Djay » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:17 pm

WhiteRider wrote:OK, try re-installing,
Total uninstall/reinstall of pt3
..but get this version of postgres instead of the one listed in point 4. It is slightly newer than the one included in the PT3 with posgres download and seems to work better.
PostgreSQL 8.3.3

Uhm....it says that the most importent part is backing up the database. Surprise...Cant read from database when trying to export. There is no way we can solve this without killing the DB's?

P.S - Ive noticed you guys have had a rough time in the 2+2 forums lately. Whatever else people migth feel about the PT3 launch the speed and service of your support is excellent.

Edit: Screw it. I found a backup thats no more that 2 days old, so ill live with the reinstall. However...the link that you provided to postgre takes me to a sites where none of the downloads work...
Djay

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:32 pm

OK, since you have 8.2 installed now, if you update to 8.3 without a backup it won't be able to find the old databases, but if you re-install PostgreSQL 8.2.9 it should find them OK.

I'm not 100% sure about this, so you may want to hang on for a little while and I'll see if I can get Derek/APerfect10 (or some other posgres expert?) to confirm.

You can then back up your databases and re-install 8.3.3 as above (or at least keep backing up frequently in case you need to do it in future).
8.3.3 is quicker, and seems to be more stable than 8.3.1, particularly on Vista.
WhiteRider

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Hmm, no - it's not working for me either. There may be a problem at the site - try again in a while..

Actually, when I clicked the UK/http link which is the one near me, it says there is a problem, but if I then click on the v8.3.3 link as part of the folder structure, there is a link to the zip file download.
http://ftp2.uk.postgresql.org/sites/ftp ... .3.3-1.zip
WhiteRider

Next

Return to Technical Support / Bug Reports [Read Only]