PTv2 does not connect ...

Any support related posts should go here.

PTv2 does not connect ...

Postby SugarHooves » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:56 am

Hi,

I have PT2 version v2.17.03b.

Have had all my poker related software apps/data installed on secondary drive, called 'F Fran' for 5 years plus. Make incremental backups daily of everything on this 'F Fran' hard drive. The 'F Fran' hard drive crashed. Minor sweat I thought, because of full backup. Great opp to get better hard drive.

Got new hard drive. Copied everything over from backup to new hard drive with same name. Everything appears the same but ...

at PT startup, keep getting same error message of:

"101 - SQLSTATE = 08001
could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?"

Note: there is no pg_log more current than 7/12/09.

I have gone manually to 'services.msc' and Postgre service was set to Manual. Even after I 'Start' it, no change, same error message in PT2.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.

John
SugarHooves

Re: PTv2 does not connect ...

Postby ptrack pat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:59 am

Did you get an error trying to manually start the serviec? If not, PT should be working. On the F drive where you installed PostgreSQL, go to the ../PostgreSQL/8.2/data folder. Is there a file called postmaster.pid there? If so, delete and it, restart the PostgreSQL service and try it again.
ptrack pat

Postby SugarHooves » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:23 pm

Pat,

Thank you for the quick reply.

1. I started the postgre services manually in Services, still got same same initial 08001 error detailed in first post,

2. I deleted the postmaster.pid file,

3. After deleting the postmaster I manually restarted the postgre services (which had been reset automatically to Manual after deleting the postmaster.pid file) and got a new error of,

"The PostgreSQL database server 8.2 service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

4. I again deleted the postmaster.pid file and continued to get new error, listed directly above in #3.

5. I then started the Performance and Logs Alerts service and also got error message listed in #3, above.

??

Let me know.

Thanks.

John
SugarHooves

Postby ptrack pat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:24 pm

How did you backup the database? Did you just have copies of all the PostgreSQL files or did you actually use the Utilities > PostgreSQL Database Functions window to make a .backup file? I'm guessing you did the first way, backing up all the PostgreSQL files. If that's the case, how did you go about reinstalling PostgreSQL again? Did you just reinstall PostgerSQL and then copy over all the files you had backed up?
ptrack pat

Postby SugarHooves » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Pat,

The backup done was a complete hard drive backup and then copied the complete hard drive backup to a new hard drive with same assignments, 'F Fran'

I did not reinstall PostgreSQL, I have v8.2.

Also, I do use the PostgreSQL | Database Functions | Backup the various databases and I do have those as well.

Thanks.

John
SugarHooves

Postby ptrack pat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:58 pm

OK, I think you will need to reinstall it. Was the entire PostgreSQL install done on the F drive or just your data files stored there?
ptrack pat

Postby SugarHooves » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:21 pm

Pat,

Entire PostgreSQL 8.2 and databases all on same hard drive.

John
SugarHooves

Postby ptrack pat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:17 pm

Ok, lets try this first. Just download and install 8.2 again, here is the latest version link...

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/downloa ... 2.13-1.zip

Now, when you get to the window that asks you where to install PostgreSQL, point it to the same folder on your F drive where it's installed now. ON THE WINDOW THAT SAYS "Install as service" at the top left...UNCHECK THAT BOX - and then click the Next button. This will force it to try to reuse the ../data folder that is already there with your old db info.

After you reinstall PostgreSQL, restart the computer and then see if the service will start.
ptrack pat

Postby SugarHooves » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Pat,

More oddness ...

1. downloaded PostgreSQL 8.2.13-zip,

2. extracted to separate folder 'PostgreSQL 8.2.13 ZIP Extraction,'

3. double-clicked 'postgresql-8.2.msi,'

4. popup of 'PostrgreSQL' Installation Maintenance with two choices of 'Modify' or 'Remove,'

5. chose 'Modify,'

6. 'Installation Options' window pops up,

7. When I choose 'Browse' to get to current folder for '8.2,' I get the following error message,

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.
This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2864."

a. I had my anti-virus turned off.
b. I retried several times with no luck.

What the ???

Thanks.

John
SugarHooves

Postby ptrack pat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:21 pm

That's odd. Try uninstalling PostgerSQL first. The uninstall will not delete any of your data folders...and you have backups of that data still right?
ptrack pat

Next

Return to PTH Support