New Windows Laptop for Pokertracker

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

New Windows Laptop for Pokertracker

Postby poloplayer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:53 am

Hi!

Since the FTP-Rush HUD doesn’t work with my Mac I am planning to buy a PC-Laptop just for playing poker. I would like to know what I need to buy. Do I need a fast porcessor i.e. Core i3 or can I buy a notebook that has a processor that is slower and energy efficient with 7 hours of battery life? Do I need 4 GB RAM or is 2 GB enough?
I am planning to buy hands from pokertableratings.com so I will have over one million hands in my database.

Thanks
poloplayer

Re: New Windows Laptop for Pokertracker

Postby kraada » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 am

A better processor and more RAM will certainly help, especially as your database gets large. Our requirements and minimum recommendations can be found here.
kraada

Postby zubs1aa » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:37 am

poloplayer wrote:Hi!

Since the FTP-Rush HUD doesn’t work with my Mac I am planning to buy a PC-Laptop just for playing poker. I would like to know what I need to buy. Do I need a fast porcessor i.e. Core i3 or can I buy a notebook that has a processor that is slower and energy efficient with 7 hours of battery life? Do I need 4 GB RAM or is 2 GB enough?
I am planning to buy hands from pokertableratings.com so I will have over one million hands in my database.

Thanks

dont buy the PTR hands. That is cheating.

If you cant beat the game without it, quit. no need for a laptop then.
zubs1aa

Postby tarix » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:28 am

poloplayer wrote:Since the FTP-Rush HUD doesn’t work with my Mac I am planning to buy a PC-Laptop just for playing poker.

Have you checked into Bootcamp and VMware? I spend quite a bit of time in Windows on my Mac and both of these programs have been great for just that purpose.
tarix
Developer

Postby poloplayer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 am

Have you checked into Bootcamp and VMware? I spend quite a bit of time in Windows on my Mac and both of these programs have been great for just that purpose.

Which Windows would you use with Bootcamp? XP, Vista or 7? I have a 11" Mac Book Air and a 64 GB SSD so actually very little disk space. Does XP slow down the performance of PT very much? Otherwise I am inclined to give it a try.
poloplayer

Postby tarix » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:48 am

poloplayer wrote:Which Windows would you use with Bootcamp? XP, Vista or 7? I have a 11" Mac Book Air and a 64 GB SSD so actually very little disk space. Does XP slow down the performance of PT very much? Otherwise I am inclined to give it a try.

In that case it might be a little difficult to use Bootcamp.

To answer your original question I would definitely try and get a laptop with 4GB of RAM and an i5 processor. If you only wanted to track your own hands you would need much less, but the large databases require quite a bit of RAM and a reasonably fast hard drive.
tarix
Developer

Postby poloplayer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:25 am

Hi I bought an i5-2410M 2.3 GHZ, 8GB Ram Windows 7 and I need a new laptop again. I have 10 illion hands in my data base and note tracker takes for ever. So that it is almost unusable. What machine would you recommend now?
poloplayer

Postby kraada » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:48 am

NoteTracker is actually one of our more CPU heavy areas, so that would benefit most from a better CPU. That said, you might be happy to know that NoteTracker actually processes the most recent hands first and works backwards so that you get the most important data first.
kraada

Postby poloplayer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:49 am

Thanks. My Mac with an SSD imports at a rate of 90 h/s. The PC does 37 h/s. So I wondered can I use my mac to process the hands I import every day (half a million) and then copy or merge the database on to my pc? I have pokertracker 4.

2nd question: If I decide to install windows on my mac which system would you recommend? Parallels or virtual box?
poloplayer

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:29 am

You can't merge databases (other than using a normal hand import) but you could transfer the whole database using Backup/Restore, although for a large database I'm not sure that would be faster than just importing the files, and importing the files would certainly require less hands-on work.
WhiteRider

Next

Return to General [Read Only]