postgresql problem

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

postgresql problem

Postby frogster » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:54 am

I downloaded the latest update of poker tracker 3, but when I try to install postgresql it says "Unable to connect to this database. Please check the configuration." What should I do?
frogster

Re: postgresql problem

Postby APerfect10 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:49 am

Were any errors displayed during the PostgreSQL installation?

If you hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE to open your Task Manager, under the Processes tab, do you see any processes named 'postgres.exe'?

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin

Postby frogster » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:08 pm

Yes, it shows up under ctrl alt del. Should I uninstall and reinstall it?
frogster

Postby APerfect10 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:24 pm

No, do not uninstall.

Go Start->Programs->PostgreSQL->Stop Service
Then Start->Programs->PostgreSQL->Start Service

See if that resolves the issue. If it does not then I am thinking your database user login information is incorrect. Please double check.

If you are still having trouble, please post the exact contents of the error message again.

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin

Postby frogster » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:32 pm

It didn't work. Here's more detail: When I click on the pokertracker icon to open it, a message pops up that's titled "Configure Postgresql Server." The password is blank. From there I click "connect" which brings me to the message I originally posted: "Unable to connect to database. Please check the configuration."
frogster

Postby APerfect10 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:49 am

Go Start->Programs->PostgreSQL->Configuration Files->Edit pg_hba.conf.

At the bottom of this file there are two lines that end with 'md5'. Change both 'md5' to 'trust' then File->Save.

Then go Start->Programs->PostgreSQL->Reload Configurations

That should resolve the issue. You simply were not providing the correct login credentials for your database and by making the above changes no longer requires them so you can leave the password field blank.

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin

Postby frogster » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:39 am

It took the change of password, but problems persist. When I click on the pokertracker icon, the same message comes up: "Configure PostgreSQL Database" with the password still blank. When I click on "connect" a new message comes up under the title "PostgreSQL Database Error": "Unable to create PostgreSQL database: PT3 Beta DB1 Reason: Unable to execute query: CREATE DATABASE PT3 Beta DB1" WITH TEMPLATE = template0 ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII';; Reason: Fatal Error (Error: database "PT3 Beta DB1" already exists).
frogster

Postby APerfect10 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:34 pm

When you hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE to open your Task Manager, under the 'Processes' tab, do you see any processes named 'postgres.exe'?

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin

Postby frogster » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:31 am

It shows up on processes five times, all in a row. It seems you might be stuck, so I'll go into even more detail: When I received the message that version 3.9 was available to download last week, I downloaded it. However, for whatever reason, it did not show up on my computer; version 3.8 remained. I tried several times version 3.8 remained. Incidentally, the same thing had happened with the previous update, from 3.7 to 3.8. When that happened, the 3.7 version eventually expired and I was able to get 3.8 installed using the CTRL ALT DEL End Task method I found elsewhere on this forum. But this time, I decided to uninstall version 3.8 and Postgrels with the idea of installing version 3.9 from the website. It did work, as far as installing Poker Tracker 3.9 is concerned. However, it would not install Postgrels; it would get about 90 percent of the way through the process, then come up with a message that said something to the effect that it could not be installed and I should find a Postgrels/3.8/tmp file and copy it. I found that file and copied it. However, that it did not fix the problem. A new, shorter, message came up saying simply that Postgrels could not be installed; there were no instructions on how to fix the problem. At this point, I ran across the "System Restore" option under Help and Support on my computer. I decided to use that option. My idea was I'd put the computer back to an earlier date, wait for version 3.8 to expire and install 3.9 the same way i had installed 3.8. But it looks like the "System Restore" may have been a terrible mistake because after that, I was able to get into Poker Tracker 3, but it wouldn't populate any data and had various messages i can't remember. So I undid the "System Restore" and here we are now.
frogster

Postby APerfect10 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:55 am

I see the problem. When adding the database back in make sure that you check 'This is an existing database'. PT3 is trying to create a new database yet that database name already exists therefore you simply need to connect to it.

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin

Next

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]