setting up PT3 on a second computer

Experiencing technical difficulties? Think you've found a problem with PokerTracker 3? Report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

setting up PT3 on a second computer

Postby brimstead » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:32 am

Hi, i recently purchased PT3 and its my understanding that i can have it installed on 2 computers. I've got build 2 running fine on my pc and would now like to set it up on my laptop with the same databse. I don't really understand or know anything about postgresql, only that it has something to do with the database. How do best go about setting PT3 with the same DB on my laptop?

thanks
brimstead

Re: setting up PT3 on a second computer

Postby prajna » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:53 pm

Please see this documentation on it: Tutorial: Networking your database.

~ Thomas
[PokerTracker Support]
prajna

Postby brimstead » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:23 am

but what about when im not at home and waqnt to use the databse while on the move with my laptop?
brimstead

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:46 am

The easiest way to do this is to copy your hand histories from the computer you play on to the other one between sessions and import them manually.

It is possible to dump and restore you database each time, but I guess that would take much more effort.
WhiteRider

Postby brimstead » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:03 pm

i have followed the tutorial on my pc, now i have just installed postgreSQL and PT3 on my laptop. I have started up pt3 and have to log into postgresql - i dont understand what to do now?
brimstead

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:12 pm

What's the problem?
Don't you know the login details you installed postgres with?
If you don't know the password, you can remove the need for it: How To: Remove PostgreSQL Password
WhiteRider

Postby brimstead » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:28 pm

a box comes up saying "configure postgreSQL database" - what do i type into the server box? and do i check the box "this db already exists"?
brimstead

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:52 pm

Server should default to "localhost", try that.
If it's a new install then there won't be an existing database, so don't check that unless you already transfered your DB across with PGAdmin.
WhiteRider

Postby fishhooks » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:29 pm

WhiteRider wrote:The easiest way to do this is to copy your hand histories from the computer you play on to the other one between sessions and import them manually.

If I wanted to copy the hand histories from my laptop to my home p.c., how would I go about doing that? I tried exporting my database from the laptop but I couldn't get them imported into the p.c.
fishhooks

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:48 pm

fishhooks wrote:If I wanted to copy the hand histories from my laptop to my home p.c., how would I go about doing that? I tried exporting my database from the laptop but I couldn't get them imported into the p.c.

If you still have the original hand history files (check the 'move processed files to' folder) just copy those files across to your other computer - network, CD, USB memory stick, etc. - and use Manual Import to import them.

If you don't have the original files, you should be able to export the hand histories from your laptop database. When you exported, did it create files? Did you manage to get them to the other PC? Did you run manual import? What happened?
WhiteRider

Next

Return to Technical Support / Bug Reports [Read Only]